Does the electric in cables attract rats?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I do know that back in the early 80s they did use a insulation around fiberoptic lines. And the rats would chew there way through that. if your using an old electrical cord if may be possible.
Yes, when I did some data work back in the late 80's early 90's, they told us when installing CAT 5 cabling (data, computer cable), not to put any wire in our mouths. Apparently, during the manufacturing process, rat poison was infused within the cable sheathing. Rats in the (New York City) buildings were known to chew on the wire. I think they chewed on them just because the wires were there. Rodents teeth constantly grow, that's why they have to constantly chew. They had no electrical attraction to the wires.

When I terminated fiber optic cable, there was no mention of rat poison, so I'm not sure of that. I know there's kevlar in there for strength and that stuff can dull your linesman pliers! And you don't want to get a splinter from that fiber optic glass! that's one painful splinter and try to find it, it's glass, almost invisible!

Another tid bit on rodents constantly chewing...
Many people don't realize this, but deer drop their antlers every year. Every Spring they grow new ones. The old ones lay in the forest and you know why people rarely find them? You guessed it...the rodents chew them up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've had pet rats before and they've never been particularly attracted to electrical equipment or wiring of any sort.

What an odd idea.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
its not an idea its fact I can assure you I know a couple people who absolutely loved therats as they referred to the rats as the million dollar helper. They had to keep replacing the fiber lines and they are not cheap and even more expensive when they go down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you - I’ve now wired it up and realised I can run most of the wire through my shed. Here I’ve joined the wire with a RCD before continuing to an outside socket. In my research I found out there are now regulations in England for outside electrical work.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry the reply went wrong. Thank you to all of your replies. I’ve gone ahead with it and the wife does feel better following your opinions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a/b
Country
United States
So what I have been told (aka take with a grain of salt)

In my car, the wiring was chewed by squirrels. The mechanic told us that one of the components used in the wiring coating is made from peanut oil. This is supposedly why squirrels will eat through car wiring. I don't know if that same component is used in other wiring coating but possible.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

In my car, the wiring was chewed by squirrels. The mechanic told us that one of the components used in the wiring coating is made from peanut oil. This is supposedly why squirrels will eat through car wiring. I don't know if that same component is used in other wiring coating but possible.
Interesting. This electrician just said it was the frequency electrical cables gave off attracted rats. This then made the wife paranoid.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
My Dad worked at a power plant for many years. He always cautioned us to make sure squirrels never go in the attic. He said they would chew the insulation on wiring and cause a fire hazard. He said something about how the plastic-y coating on the wires was made of something they found tasty. Maybe similar to what you said, texastkc?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you - I’ve now wired it up and realised I can run most of the wire through my shed. Here I’ve joined the wire with a RCD before continuing to an outside socket. In my research I found out there are now regulations in England for outside electrical work.
Interesting. This electrician just said it was the frequency electrical cables gave off attracted rats. This then made the wife paranoid.
Thats possible but I'd lean toward the oil or a powder that they use to use.
I do know that bears and woodpeckers will rip apart wood "telephone " poles as the electrical Humm sounds like insect hives in the pole

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a

Wiring made with peanut oil? Excuse me, but that sounds totally ridiculous! I don't believe that for a second. Why would any manufacturer even do that? They strive to do the opposite, deter rodents. Data wires actually have rat poison manufactured within the jacketed covering.

As I previously stated, rodents (rats, mice, squirrels, whatever) are constantly chewing. Their teeth need to be constantly worn down. Their teeth never stop growing. If they didn't constantly chew, their teeth would grow out so far that they wouldn't be able to eat. They would die. So they literally chew everything they can get their teeth on.

If one was in your car, what do you think they would chew on? The steel frame or the nice soft chewy plastic coating on the wires?
The same in your attic.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wiring made with peanut oil? Excuse me, but that sounds totally ridiculous
While I have to agree you never know today. McDonald's use to put Diatomatous earth in there shakes! And I'm going to leave it at that before I start doing some homework and I find out my favorite soda uses embalming fluid to keep the carbonation from going flat in shipping . Oh yeah thats right I already knew that . we have no clue what these people put in these preservatives . etc

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
While I have to agree you never know today. McDonald's use to put Diatomatous earth in there shakes! And I'm going to leave it at that before I start doing some homework and I find out my favorite soda uses embalming fluid to keep the carbonation from going flat in shipping . Oh yeah thats right I already knew that . we have no clue what these people put in these preservatives . etc
Ha! Good point!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a/b
Country
United States
Wiring made with peanut oil? Excuse me, but that sounds totally ridiculous! I don't believe that for a second. Why would any manufacturer even do that? They strive to do the opposite, deter rodents. Data wires actually have rat poison manufactured within the jacketed covering.

It may sound "ridiculous" but there is actually some truth to it. When you google it, you will see that it is a thing. I was wrong, not peanut but soy. It was the industry trying to cut back on using petroleum products. Yes, rodents like to chew but there has been a huge increase in insurance claims of rodents chewing car wiring and it has been traced back to the composition of the wiring coating.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have small pond and I want to run a filter 24/7. I have a few sticklebacks in a 700L pond. However my wife will not have it on over night as an electrician said the hum of the electric attracts rats, and she has a phobia. Has anyone heard this too ? Experienced this issue?
Thanks for any help/ advice.
BrawnC
I have heard of vermin chewing on outdoor cables. You could put the cord in a plastic pipe or even metal conduit.

Ask a Question