does this fish have Carp Pox?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't know for sure....maybe, but I'm thinking something else. Is it possible it was injured, or a bacterial infection? Can you tell us more about your pond, so we can make some educated guesses?

Reaction score
I don't know for sure....maybe, but I'm thinking something else. Is it possible it was injured, or a bacterial infection? Can you tell us more about your pond, so we can make some educated guesses?

I just had severe Bactria infection in my pond but was more because of ammonia and nitrite poisoning. After treating and loosing a bunch of fish and cleaned the whole top, bottom and filters and started with 100% well new water. Pond is about 30 days with fish feeding

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
From the picture and hearing your recent experience, I think this fish may have a bacterial infection. Perhaps he remained susceptible ?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I agree, looks more bacterial, It's NOT Carp pox. carp pox looks nothing like that and it's rarely associated with redness when it first develops. Also carp pox rarely shows up in warm water, It shows up more in the cold weather.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree, looks more bacterial, It's NOT Carp pox. carp pox looks nothing like that and it's rarely associated with redness when it first develops. Also carp pox rarely shows up in warm water, It shows up more in the cold weather.

It definatly isnt fish pox its too late in the year for it.
I cant say if its bacterial or not I dont know you'd have to swab the area around the gill's and send it off to the vet for testing, then when the results come back treat accordingly with the correct antibacterial treatment.
Lastly you could give it a short term salt water dip nd see how he goes after that .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It may well be caused by parasites though which I'm unsure about , do you know how to take a scrape so that you could look under a microscope , have you noticed any of the Ki(red having flesh coloured clear areas ?
Are there any other symptoms you could perhaps describe ?

Dave

Ask a Question