Does this fly in the face of what weve been taught about winter feeds ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We came across this article in PFK today from Dr David Pool who is a respected koi Author but wht he is now saying seems to fly in the face of what weve been taught i;e to quit feeding bellow 10c :-

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co....dfish_foods_from_FishScience&utm_content=html

Is this just another slick marketing tool by the food companies or is Dr Pool right in what he is claiming .
Peoples thoughts on this one please ?

Dave

Reaction score
I dont take the time to conver C to F but I will say that in the Fall, my fish have no interest eating below a water temp of about 50. So why would I throw food in? In the Spring, the water temperature could be lower than 50, but if it is very Sunny, the fish would be more interested in eating. So I would throw in a small amount.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Many, MANY people have kept fish through winters without feeding, so there's really no need to spend money on something just because it exists.

Reaction score
Many, MANY people have kept fish through winters without feeding, so there's really no need to spend money on something just because it exists.
Much of the backyard ponding industry is fueled on people spending money on stuff just because it's on the shelf in a pond store. I'm bet you'd find this stuff on the shelf right between the bottled bacteria and the barely straw balls.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I dont take the time to conver C to F but I will say that in the Fall, my fish have no interest eating below a water temp of about 50. So why would I throw food in? In the Spring, the water temperature could be lower than 50, but if it is very Sunny, the fish would be more interested in eating. So I would throw in a small amount.
You'll find that 10c is your 50f but I've always been a stricted no feed till spring keeper, I've seen other feeds they clainm you can feed down to 5c, not that I think this is right.
I have one of Dr David Pools books and respect his knowledge but in this he seems to be going against the status quo so to speak.
Question is however why, is this him speaking or the company he works for ?

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Much of the backyard ponding industry is fueled on people spending money on stuff just because it's on the shelf in a pond store. I'm bet you'd find this stuff on the shelf right between the bottled bacteria and the barely straw balls.
Randy I'll let you know when I see a packet my friend , I've a feeling this is a Tetra product because thats who Dr Pool was last working for but you'll note they dont put a brand name to the feed

Dave

Ask a Question