Does water protect a PVC liner from direct sunlight?

Reaction score
Country
Lebanon
I have dug my pond, setup the protection underlay and installed my PVC liner,. And when we were trying to place the rocks we noticed that these kind of rocks will scratch the liner, I am waiting now to get other kinds of stones, this might take a week and the sun is so shiny these days, I am worried about the liner in direct sunlight, if I fill the pond temporarily with water will the underwater liner be protected from sunlight?

PS: i bought pvc liner because i couldnt find epdm liner in my country. I paid 180 USD for the liner (7x6 meters)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
All rocks will cause problems with pvc liners even the smooth ones .I know I had a pvc liner for 3 years .Better off with no rocks .It will last for around 10 years at most and sometimes more but will become brittle and hard after some time has passed .I guess it will depend on your weather .Mine had to be replaced because I had to go bigger for the pond but still use the pvc under my filters .I bought the liner back in 2005 .It was on sale at lowes here so decided to take the chance on it until I could get epdm .I am amazed it has lasted under my filters exposed to sun

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
PVC liner for ponds contains UV inhibitors similar to those found in EPDM, but due to the basic chemical nature of PVC it will still become stiff and brittle over time (years) and much sooner than EPDM.
Since you are apparently talking about a short period of time. I would not be too concerned.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Just cover it up if your worried. Throw a big tarp over it
I cover 1/4 of mine in the summer with a tarp slung over some patio chairs for temp. measure to keep fish cool
Next year I'll have a wind sail tied off my upstairs deck down to the new pond deck with cables where I can slide it back
My pond is made up of flagstone mainly, some natural moutain rocks but mostly flagstone, I haven't had a problem, even when my dog knocks one in
Its PVC

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Since you can only get pvc then shade will help greatly in the summer .

Ask a Question