Dogs and Fish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
I have 3 French Bulldogs, but one of them has become infatuated with the fish recently. I mostly discourage their interest because they are a breed that cannot swim or float (by nature). Truly, they swim like bowling balls. But Daisy, my oldest, understands and respects water. She simply likes to sit on my lap, and enjoy her "new friends." It started with Frank of course, and now many of her pond friends come to greet her without fear. Luckily we don't have any predator problems here so far (knock on wood!!), so I do hand feed, play with the fish daily, and allow the interaction with my dog. Enjoy!!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Also added the other two (Tomato the brindle, and Walter the deaf white kid with a brindle patch) at the end, since they are playing by the pond. And may have snuck one in of Daisy helping me enjoy a glass of wine. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Aww how sweet it that carrie , our three cats love spleeping by the pond or watching the koi as they awim on by :happy:
You'd think cats,the fish would be in danger but weve found the oposite of this its a case of "ok your in our turf , you part of mum and dads house " so we dont touch.
Even Betty our kitten understands this rule and she just sits with her norse watching the water till a large koi broaches , then she gets all exited until weve fed them all then she gets bord and hops off the pond and walks away.

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great Photos c-note! My pup thought she could walk on water on time, (she thought the floating plants were solid) it was so funny watching her. (12 inch deep deck pond)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I love your frenchies!

Our 65-pound bulldog also can't swim (which we didn't know until he sunk like a boulder in a friend's pool-stood at the bottom of the shallow end, blowing bubbles out his nose until my husband rescued him; silly dog never seemed worried at all about the situation!) I have a feeling when our fish get bigger, he might take notice, but for now he behaves himself, happy to just admire his reflection in the pond.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love your pictures of your dogs and fish! I have a Brittany and they love water, so I was concerned about her and the pond. But instead, when the fish get noisy she is a little leery and wont get too close to the pond. Here is a picture of her seeing the water hyacinths moving.
2015-6-10 Dyna and pond (1).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@C-Note . love, love, love those pictures....and of course you already know I adore Frank!! I also love Frenchies! Think I'm attending my first koi show this Saturday :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Aww how sweet it that carrie , our three cats love spleeping by the pond or watching the koi as they awim on by :happy:
You'd think cats,the fish would be in danger but weve found the oposite of this its a case of "ok your in our turf , you part of mum and dads house " so we dont touch.
Even Betty our kitten understands this rule and she just sits with her norse watching the water till a large koi broaches , then she gets all exited until weve fed them all then she gets bord and hops off the pond and walks away.

Dave

That's so cool, Dave! Do you have any pics you can throw in here of your kitties interacting with the fish?? I would love to see it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
@C-Note . love, love, love those pictures....and of course you already know I adore Frank!! I also love Frenchies! Think I'm attending my first koi show this Saturday :)
Fun! I've only been to one show. It was a small, local show, but I loved it! And thanks. Frank loves you, too. :love:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
I love your pictures of your dogs and fish! I have a Brittany and they love water, so I was concerned about her and the pond. But instead, when the fish get noisy she is a little leery and wont get too close to the pond. Here is a picture of her seeing the water hyacinths moving.
View attachment 82334
Yay! Thanks for sharing. I was totally hoping people would share their own pics of pets with ponds here. Beautiful dog and pond you've got!!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'll have to see if my daughter or hubby can get a picture of me feeding the fish in the morning. I sit on the ground and both dog and cat swarm around me trying to see what's going on in the fish world.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
I'll have to see if my daughter or hubby can get a picture of me feeding the fish in the morning. I sit on the ground and both dog and cat swarm around me trying to see what's going on in the fish world.
That would be great to see!

Ask a Question