dogs/puppies and ponds

Reaction score
i'm always looking at getting a new pup, but i didn't have the pond since the last dog i had. is it ever a problem? i'm wanting some kind of lab or labbish mutt, and i know they're liable to like water. i can imagine one wanting to play or just sit in the water, especially if it's hot out.

i guess my main worry is if they can puncture the liner with their claws. it's a 45mil liner and seems pretty tough, but i figured i'd ask. or just generally make a mess of plants, bark at and/or chase the fish or whatnot. any experience positive or negative appreciated. thanks.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't have any dogs right now but I did have a lab/retriever mix but I didn't have a pond then but whenever I took him out walking any water he saw he was all for getting in it! I think if you train him from the beginning what he can do and what he can't do you might have a better chance at protecting your pond, fish and plants. They can mess up a pond really bad tho...............just ask sissy here on the forum.............oh me oh my!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I have a lab and pond, and yes he had to get in! I found that If I gave him his own small pool to get in and said no when he headed to the pond and smiled and laughed and treated him nice when he went to the kiddy pool that he learned very quickly what water was his and what was mine. If you do get one and they want to get in, give them a place they can get wet that is theirs and you'll find that they learn quickly where they can get wet and where they can't. Now if I could just figure out how to teach him to towel dry off before coming back inside!

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
hi we have a long haired collie [lassie style] being we have a raised pond he has never leap in , drunk from it ......hope this helps. DONT PURCHASE A NET COVER , animals will get intangled and possilble die if not seen in time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
When we got our puppy Rott, he fell into it a couple of times trying to get a drink. Now, he must have better balance, he can drink without falling in. Ours is raised a little also.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
My boxer loves water, he was 5 when I built the pond, but he was told right away that water isn't his. The bricks around the pond are his imaginary fence, I let my dog on the furniture, I even let him sleep beside me sometimes, but he isn't going anywhere near that water :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put in a 1000 gallon stock tank in the front for a lily pond, our neighbors dog fell in, luckily we were home, it could not get out. That is the only other issue, make sure your dog could get out if it fell in.
Our 1000 gallon tank is now a dirt bog, didn't want to dig it back out.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I put in a 1000 gallon stock tank in the front for a lily pond, our neighbors dog fell in, luckily we were home, it could not get out. That is the only other issue, make sure your dog could get out if it fell in. Our 1000 gallon tank is now a dirt bog, didn't want to dig it back out.

Sure would be a good way to stop um from pooping in your lawn, :twisted:

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My brothers lab will get in my pond when he brings her over and it is hot. My dog only drinks out of it and wanders around the rocks on the side looking for frogs and chipmunks. I have more problems with the raccoons sitting in my pond and pooping than I do the dogs. If you do have a dog and allow it in your pond you will have to watch your lilies and any other flowers you have as they don't have much regard for them when they are in the water.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
my little yorkie has no desire to get into the pond. Have very few free running dogs here.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have the only lab in existence that is afraid of water. She will drink out of the waterfall from time to time but we are getting a Dogue de Bordeaux puppy so I hope we can train him to stay away from the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Our ol guy likes to drink from it and my fish go for his tongue like it's food lol. he could care less about water and being in it unless he's at a lake and it's hotter then hot then he'll stroll into it about ankle high (he cant swim lol boxer/rot mix) old dogs are the best he was a pound puppy when we got him bout 6 yrs ago and was old enough to know better bout lots of things.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I have the only lab in existence that is afraid of water. She will drink out of the waterfall from time to time but we are getting a Dogue de Bordeaux puppy so I hope we can train him to stay away from the pond.
I have one that will not get in any water that is more than about six inches deep, she'll cool her feet off in the kiddy pool but is afraid ot the swimming pool and the pond other than the 300 gallon stock pond which she does like to drink out of, the big male loves water, Johnny loves his pool, the big swimming pool, the river and the target shooting ponds. He would make a great Duck hunting dog but I don't hunt ducks.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My dog won't get in my pond and hates water of any type. If someone has a sprinkler going she will go out of her way to walk around it. Yet she does not hesitate to get in my kayak and go for a ride as you can see in my avatar.

Reaction score
Our daughters golden lab loves the water.
She bought him here once, He jumped off the little dock,
and swam across the entire pond...

Both our son's have Bostons, they only try and get the food from the fish,
but won't go in the water. :)

Ask a Question