addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am currently building my 4th pond, going from 6ft x 3 ft to the "last one" 28x30 feet.

It will have a bog filter approx. 28x4 feet, the filter will water fall into the pond, which is approx 30 x 22 feet. The stream / waterfalls is 85 feet long and around 1 foot wide.

There are 4 mini ponds within the stream (8x8 ft), with multiple waterfalls. The stream meanders down our hill.

This pond came into existence, because my husband bought me a kubota front end loader, back hoe for our 1st anniversary. Our house is at the top of a hill with woods in the back yard, the pond, stream are placed on the hill that was hard to mow. So we had to deal with building a level pond on un-level land. The stream was easy, natural hill flow.

This is my 4th pond, the first two where approx. 8x2, the third 20x20 with a 40 foot level stream, in sunny hot arizona. This pond is in hot in the summer , cold in the winter maryland.

In searching for the best filter I found this forum, which re-pathed my thought process to a bog garden / filter.

We are using a pool skimmer, pool pump, with a perforated pvc bottom drain. We picked up carpet pad to protect the liner, a little soil with a lot of rock here.

This has been a ton of fun in planning and digging. i have learned how to run a tractor, 50 hours seat time in digging this hole in the ground.

Waiting for the liner to arrive to move to the next step.

Attachments

• backyard3.jpg
    backyard3.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 267
  • P3152370.jpg
    P3152370.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 299
  • DSC01176a.JPG
    DSC01176a.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 275
  • DSC01178a.JPG
    DSC01178a.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 271

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum
It looks like you have a real interesting project in front of you
We like pics

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks
I looked for an edit feature, but did not find one.
The pond is deepest 5 feet, going to zero feet, so the critters can get out if they fall in.
We have already had deer (a buck) walk the stream checking out all the new dining items!

I am going to double line the stream to protect it from their lil hoofs.

My husband says this project keeps me out of chat and out of trouble! Started the first trench on 4/21/10.

Our neighbors have a noisy frog in their unused swim pool they can't wait to relocate the frog to our pond.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
:lol:LOL
Ian .. is going to give every one more edit time soon
Your going to have a nature reserve back there

Ask a Question