Doitsu and Kohaku - what do you guys think?

Reaction score
the 3 Doistus are 8.5"

the 3 Kohakus are 5-5.5"

What do you guys think of the potential in the Kohakus? I'm a total noob to spot potential and I asked the owner to pick these out for me. He took his sweet 'ol time finding these out of hundreds.

Attachments

• do1s.jpg
    do1s.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 366
  • do2s.jpg
    do2s.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 346
  • do3s.jpg
    do3s.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 420
  • ko1.jpg
    ko1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 303
  • ko2.jpg
    ko2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 353
Reaction score
3rd one has a little fin rot. :-( I bought it knowing full well it did. Well... it's getting worse. Using tricide-neo and melafix in QT tank. 2nd day now. Hope it'll heal. I'll update if it lives or not.

3rd pond shop I know has a shipment coming in tomorrow. Fish won't be for sale yet, but will take a look and reserve what I want. :) I hope this time, I'll snatch some champions. Although, I think the ones i have already are pretty nice.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hope the 3rd one makes it...I realy like his pattern.

Reaction score
The orange Doistu fin rot looks somewhat stabilized. Ulcer or sore on body getting larger still. Oh well... Still eating and looks happy. That's the only good news.

I bought 6 more koi. Don't have pics. Being QT'd at store for 2-3 weeks. Just arrived from Japan today. Two Asagi, 3 more doistu (2 sankes doistu I guess and 1 deep orange), and a Showa. Won't know until I get them. I told myself not to buy anymore Doistu, but I like them... They're cool looking. Or anymore koi with sumi.

Reaction score
Update on Orange Doitsu and question.

Lower tail fin, 1 anal fin and 1 ventral fin were affected. Tail fin rot halted a few days ago (tail was never red) and so did the anal fin (a little red but has not gotten worse). But the ventral fin appears to be still getting worse, almost whole fin is dark red. 5th day on tricide-neo, two outer fin bones fell off! LOL! Would these bones grow back?

Ulcer/sore appears to have halted.

When I brought this guy home last Saturday, the tail fin and ventral fin were not affected. I spotted a hint of rot 24 hrs later and I realized I had to do something about it.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Update: Sore on side of body healing. Tail fin and anal fin looks like it halted.

Ventral fin is the BAD. Almost rotted right off. Ucler size of pea the base. May have halted.

It's still eating and swimming around like everything is normal.

I figure I need a microscope in the future anyway so I finally gave in and bought one. Scraped the living daily lights out of the guy (well, gently of course). I found NOTHING.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
good to know he is still swimming around, and hes turning the corner.

Reaction score
Looks like ucler on side of body is basically healed up with fresh patch of baby skin.

Ucler on bottom still large and appears to be stable now but ventral fine is completely gone, all the way to the flesh. I upgraded chances of survival from 50% to 80%.

All 3 doitsu are in the 130G QT tank. I treated them all with proforma-C and prazi eventhough I found nothing on the sick guy with scrape and scope. Can't risk introducing these guys to main pond knowing that everything in there appears to be totally fine (besides the cycling part - lol). 2 weeks in and the other 2 doitsu are perfectly fine.

Side note, I introduced 3 5" kohakus into main pond. 1 or 2 little 5" sanke/showa nippled on all 3 (fins and body). I didn't know the full extent until I inspected them closely. I had to pull them out. They're in 70 QT tank to heal. Good thing I did... They'll die forsure.

Reaction score
Oh well.. Looks like my main pond is infected with gill flukes... Scoped 6 Koi... pretty much all have 2-3 gill flukes found per koi, except for one, which i detected 5+. :-(

Only one skin fluke verified.

Safe to say, all my tanks have it now.

Reaction score
Update on Orange Doitsu - poor guy didn't make it. Thought it would pull through... Dead as a door nob. Ulcer at ventral fin size of a quarter. Found gill flukes on skin. Found lots from gill tissue sample. Now knowing that flukes infested the gills, I should have taken a cotton swab to see if I could get some flukes on it (but I forgot). I never detected or had success with this method so actually swabbing a known infestation would have been good. Guy is in the garbage now for over 2 hours. Too late to do it. I treated the QT tank with prazi some weeks ago too, and that was when I couldn't even find any flukes on skin.

Ask a Question