Done in by waterliles!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was so happy that the fancy waterliles hubby got me did well this year. I got blooms on all 3 and one looked like it may have grown enough to be divided this year. I followed the planting instructions and put them in 20" square pots with kitty litter and lots of rocks to keep koi out. They got cut back and lowered to the deep side of the pond in October.
That's when they got even more expensive. Seems while moving them, I injured my shoulder. No big deal, it will get better soon. Well, had surgery to repair rotator cuff on Monday so no ponding for several months! I'm learning to deal with only one arm which sounds easy but surprisingly can be difficult. Just glad its still winter so I am not out around the ponds figuring how things will get done.
once this is over, first job, repot lilies bare root! In the mean time, hubby is finding out just how much I do around here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, at least it happened while you were doing something fun! haha!

Was it that the pots were too heavy? If so, I would avoid laundry baskets, vacuum cleaners, garbage cans, snow shovels and lawn mowers. ;)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The big lily pots were way too heavy Ya and add pots & pans, grocery bags and most other things associated with housework! looking like I wont even be able to drive for a couple of months.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Darn that's too bad @mrsclem and hope you heal fast for Summer is on the way!

I have mine bare root and it took them a long time to make blooms after I did that but they are just starting to come around after a few years now. Better than having to haul the heavy suckers outta my pond in those pots. They are sitting on the shelf in my pond tied into a one of those flimsy black lattice type lily pots w/no soil. I put a rock or two in there to hold them down. I just have goldfish and they don't bother them. W/koi maybe putting some screen wrapped around them may help protect them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Yikes! I hope you heal quickly. Last year I decided to do my lilies over a few days, using my stock tank pond side, as I worked on them.

They bloomed like crazy, but geez....the work - ugh!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hope you shoulder feels better

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bummer mrsclem, feel better real soon.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hope your shoulder is better by the time the weather gets nicer. I also tried water lilies bare root and they did not bloom for me. Maybe try smaller pots? I am using hanging flower pots with kitty litter topped with rocks and they aren't too heavy.

inside 2016-4-18.JPG

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I followed the planting instructions for these lilies as I wanted them to survive. This is the 2nd winter for them so if they make it they will go in much smaller, lighter pots! Hubby has always said he wants to help with ponds but never seems to. this year will be different. I will find out Wednesday how long before I can use my arm again.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use the oil pans, they are easy to slide around and not to heavy. I always pull them to the edge then drag them up, the shallow edge.

My two pot-less experiment lilies are still not blooming or growing well. it has been a few years now.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Got the stitches out Tuesday and more PT (physical terrorism) exercises to do. may get rid of sling in a couple of weeks but still looking at several months for total recovery.
This is the first year in a long time that we have not had to shut down the ponds for winter. I removed the nets when we got some ice and now I need to get them back up. Have a pair of Red-tailed hawks that perch on an arbor by the ponds and have caught them going after the fish!

Ask a Question