Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but need help.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thank you everyone for your response. I do keep a pump going all winter, with the output near the surface - but sometimes, in a harsh winter, I have to go out and clear it off (not unusual to have 5 ft of snow on the pond). I am posting a picture of when I drained some water last spring, to refill with fresh. Where the lily pots are, is about 2 ft below the water level. From what I can tell, there is about 1-1/2" of sludge on that shelf - cannot imagine what is on the bottom. I have 2 DIY filters that usually do the job, going to the waterfall. Right now, I also have a pump in the front, with 2 outputs going to the corners, to keep the water moving. I haven't been able to clean the filters much this summer, do to water issues. The water that I would replace in the pond is well water from a different source, so no chlorine or other goodies added. I am just concerned about the fish surviving the winter with all that junk in the bottom. The pond is roughly 15' x 15', and the deepest part is about 4-1/2' deep.
Fish would not be in the plastic pool for any more than a week if I did the cleanout this fall. Catching 100 goldfish would be the hardest part of this ordeal. Cleaning the pond, another day, then getting the water on the 3rd day. Would slowly exchange fresh water for the water in the plastic pool until all is done. Then the fish back into the pond a few days later. Also, its been a hot summer, and only about 1/2" of rain since Mid May, unusual for here.

Overall good plan, but I would return the original pond water in the plastic pool to the pond along with the fish at the same time. This water already has a population of aquatic organisms to serve as seed for the newly cleaned pond. Of critical importance is providing biofiltration to the plastic pool while it is housing the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
How lovely to have a shoal of goldfish that size, it looks amazing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
I think everybody has been having a tougher time with algae than we're used too. The things that seem to help is what everybody has been recommending, more aeration, and more turnover. It might help to drain the sediment chamber on the water fall more often than you are used too also. More air allows the beneficial bacteria to clean the water, and more turnover get more water to the bacteria to be cleaned. If you really have a lot of muck on the bottom, sometimes you can scoop a lot of it out with a swimming pool leaf skimmer or even a pool vacuum head.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
"Mulm"' or accumulated decomposing organic debris is the leading cause of algae blooms. Coupled with insufficient plant life, inadequate filtration and fish over-population, you'll constantly fight a losing battle.

"Mum" is another 4-letter word.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
"Mulm"' or accumulated decomposing organic debris is the leading cause of algae blooms. Coupled with insufficient plant life, inadequate filtration and fish over-population, you'll constantly fight a losing battle.

"Mum" is another 4-letter word.
Are you sure that mulm is the "leading cause" of algae blooms? I thought it was more the waste products from the fish, ammonia and all that. But, yes, I'm sure everything contributes. I have a nice layer of mulm and have had for a while, but even with (almost) full sun exposure, I'm not having an issue with algae at all. And I don't add anything to my water.....

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Algae growth requires Ammonia and/or Nitrate, Phosphorus and Carbon. (All life is Carbon based). The fish supply the Ammonia/Nitrate, the decomposing organic matter supplies the Carbon along with a little Ammonia.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@karyl Oh, and hello, welcome! Glad you joined. Your 12 years of experience would be nice to share with others, as it sounds like you have a good handle on what's going on and the necessary steps to keep your fish healthy.

Back to your question of putting something in the water, like beneficial bacteria..... If you go that route.... Most of us don't hold much faith in that. Do you have any rocks in the water, something with lots of surface area that would be growing the beneficial bacteria? If you set up the holding tank now, and only put in a few fish with a good filter and seed the tank, it's still going to take weeks for the bio-filter to be cycled, and that's depending on the size of the holding tank, etc. Then you have to be concerned with insulation for the tank -- is it going to be outdoors?

All in all, I think the least stressful option for your fish is NOT to move them.
Also maybe getting water from another pond and adding onto yours that’s already established may help with adding beneficial bacteria.

Ask a Question