Don't let this happen to you. How my pond nearly killed me

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Now most of you will never be this stupid but it might help someone in the future. I was on a ladder with my pond about 2 feet back from the fence itself. This is an elevated pond so the border is about 2 feet off the ground making very little room between the fence and the pond border so the ladder was almost straight up. I was installing some threaded rings for a sail about 9 feet up. I was also battling a branch from a dogwood that the wife is very fond of so not to hurt the branch I ducked underneath it so it was pushing on me as I climbed the ladder. When I was done installing the rings my impatience got the better of me with the branch pushing on my back I tried to climb down the ladder too fast to step back on the pond border. The result was a miscalculation of how high up I was and the result was my falling backward into the pond on top of the copper fountain. It impaled me under the armpit going 4 inches in, tearing a 1 inch gap before sliding out. I managed to crawl out.

That was the first stupid mistake. Here's the second one. I did not go to the hospital that day. It was the wife's birthday and I didn't want her memory to be of going to the ER. Now for the third. The next day I went to a clinic instead of a hospital. They did not clean out the wound and under their care for the next 9 days a staff infection grew. During that time I had no energy and no appetite whatsoever but no fever which really confused everyone. When it abscessed they drained it out forcefully. I felt great afterward and even got hungry but the bacteria was obviously not dead so I went to the hospital. Finally a smart move. They gave me IV antibiotics for 2 days and after a culture was taken and identified the bacteria and put me on heavy antibiotics. I've spent the last 12 days recovering. Remember, I lost 10 days due to sheer stupidity. The doctor had said if that pipe was anything other than copper I would most likely be dead because it would have punctured my lung. In the last 10 days its healed about 2.6 inches with a little more than an inch to go with daily dressing changes thanks to the wife.

BTW, the bacteria was NOT pond related. It was a skin staff infection which surprised me a bit.

I tell you this story not to gain sympathy and certainly not to relive it for the umpteenth time but merely a reminder to respect your pond when you are working around it. Avoid razor sharp items in your pond (like copper pipes) in your fountain. Stick some damn rubber on top of it or plastic, anything to avoid a disaster.

This is the pond itself. I fell into the top pond back first. You can see the fountain which is now flat at the bottom of the pond. Thank God for soft metal.

2011-04-04_18-38-49_411.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Truly a near fatal tragedy. Great to her that you are recuperating.

BTW, the bacteria was NOT pond related. It was a skin staff infection which surprised me a bit

The infection was definitely pond water related. Staphyoccus and other human-infecting pathogens are present to varying degrees in any and all ponds that house fish. This is the reason behind the admonition of not going into any natural body of freshwater if cuts, open sores or any skin lesions are present.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Truly a near fatal tragedy. Great to her that you are recuperating.

The infection was definitely pond water related. Staphyoccus and other human-infecting pathogens are present to varying degrees in any and all ponds that house fish. This is the reason behind the admonition of not going into any natural body of freshwater if cuts, open sores or any skin lesions are present.

Well not according to my doctor. She said it is a skin bacteria commonly located on the surface on the skin that was introduced into the muscle by the impalement.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
EEEH GADS Tex so glad it is going to turn out ok for you! I will remember your fiasco whenever I start to do some risk taking action that could end up w/me on the raw end of the deal!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Well not according to my doctor. She said it is a skin bacteria commonly located on the surface on the skin that was introduced into the muscle by the impalement.

Your doctor is correct it does commonly occur on skin, but it, and a few other trouble making bacteria, reside in pond water also.

"This study shows diversified forms of bacterial species populating the pond water sources. This includes Staphylococcus spp., Streptococcus spp., Bacillus spp., Pseudomonas spp., E. coli, Enterobacter spp., Proteus spp., Citrobacter spp. and others".
Bacteriological study of pond water for aquaculture purposes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@texmaster I am so sorry to hear of your accident, how scary !! I'm glad to hear you're on the mend and thanks for the reminder to keep safety in mind, while working on our ponds.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow good reminder, so glad you are alive to type this. I have tennis balls on all to fence posts near the pond. If I slip I won't be impaled.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Ooowwwww......that sounded painful. Glad to hear you are recovering though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
get well soon , did u fall on that fountain? that cud have been worst i imagine if that fountain was more sharper at the top u wud have been dead or fatal injury thats scary what happened . b careful

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Reading this gave me goose bumps! I'm glad you're ok!

Ask a Question