Don't like sand we chose for the bottom of little pond

Mojoabby

Smallest outdoor pond ever?
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We just had a small preformed pond put in and we don't like the color of the sand we chose for the bottom. So we are going to remove it for something else. Not large rocks - we have small grandchildren and we don't want them hitting their heads. Supposing that money were no object (but don't suggest gold coins or silver dollars, my fellow jokesters), what would you put in the bottom so it wouldn't look muddy like the sand or black like the tub color ????
20170612_131326 (1).jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! I wouldn't put anything down. Eventually it's going to turn green and be very natural.

Just curious, but why did you put sand in the pond?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I agree don't put anything cuz whatever you put in there will just turn green and will be harder to clean than just the smooth bottom. You want to leave that nice green layer of algae as it helps balance the water. Are you gonna have fish and if so they love to nibble on the carpet algae that grows on the sides and bottom.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'll add my "don't put anything on the bottom" if appearance is your only concern. As has already been said, anything you put on the bottom will end up covered in bio-film, if your pond is working right!

And I guess I'm a little confused why the rocks on the bottom seem like a risk to your grandkids, but the rock edge surrounding the pond doesn't?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
sand is bad idea for any pond bottom! it turns into black slimy mud, keep it empty just plain liner ot have rounded gravel like small pebbles

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I'll add my "don't put anything on the bottom" if appearance is your only concern. As has already been said, anything you put on the bottom will end up covered in bio-film, if your pond is working right!

And I guess I'm a little confused why the rocks on the bottom seem like a risk to your grandkids, but the rock edge surrounding the pond doesn't?
they may dive , altho that fountain looks more dangerous to me lol

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree with above, remove the sand, the bottom will end up green as algae etc grows. This is a black lined pond bottom, no rocks
IMG_1124.jpg
IMG_1128.jpg

Mojoabby

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Give it time and the black will turn to green with periphyton (algae) growth.
Hello and welcome! I wouldn't put anything down. Eventually it's going to turn green and be very natural.

Just curious, but why did you put sand in the pond?

We put the pond in so our young grandchildren could eventually wade in it like they were at the beach. Gravel isn't as comfortable. We aren't going to have fish, so will we still have algae? This was just for people to sit around and dip their toes in and talk and part of relandscaping back yard.

Mojoabby

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes, as I just posted in my reply, just a sitting and talking place during cookouts with family for the little ones to wade in. Part of a relandscaping of backyard. We are retired and I'm chronically ill so want some pretty plants to look at.

Ask a Question