Don't like sand we chose for the bottom of little pond

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, as I just posted in my reply, just a sitting and talking place during cookouts with family for the little ones to wade in. Part of a relandscaping of backyard. We are retired and I'm chronically ill so want some pretty plants to look at.
Very nice!

Mojoabby

Smallest outdoor pond ever?
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
strictly a toe dipping and/or wading pond, only 6 ft across. All the surrounding rock is for people sitting around and watching their kids so they do not fall on the rocks.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If this is primarily going to be a decorative water feature, then that changes everything. You can purchase Chlorine tablets for swimming pools. This will inhibit any algae growth but must be used continuously. You should then be able to use anything you want to cover the bottom.

Mojoabby

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Give it time and the black will turn to green with periphyton (algae) growth.
If this is primarily going to be a decorative water feature, then that changes everything. You can purchase Chlorine tablets for swimming pools. This will inhibit any algae growth but must be used continuously. You should then be able to use anything you want to cover the bottom.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Nice pond mojoabby, so no fish and using it for a wading feature and a pretty fountain? Do you add chemicals? I'm trying to think of something you could put down that would be nice to wade around in.

Mojoabby

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Problem is they put 3" of sand into an 18" pool and anytime you put your hand in to do something, like fish a dead chipmunk out, :-( it seems to stir up the sand for too long (our filter/bubbler is big enough).

Mojoabby

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Nice pond mojoabby, so no fish and using it for a wading feature and a pretty fountain? Do you add chemicals? I'm trying to think of something you could put down that would be nice to wade around in.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would definitely stay away from the trash bag and sea shells. What about the pebble tile mosaic pieces they have at lowes? You could put that in and then pull it easily to clean and replace.

Mojoabby

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I agree don't put anything cuz whatever you put in there will just turn green and will be harder to clean than just the smooth bottom. You want to leave that nice green layer of algae as it helps balance the water. Are you gonna have fish and if so they love to nibble on the carpet algae that grows on the sides and bottom.
No fish!

Mojoabby

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you!

Mojoabby

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How about a blue trash bag with some sea shells sprinkled around. I have some non-sharp, non-breakable ones. I also have some very smooth pebbles that are 1 to 2" in size. Maybe that would even hold the sand in place; I think I'd have trouble with hubby on the idea of not getting rid of the sand. But you are on the right track.

Mojoabby

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I agree don't put anything cuz whatever you put in there will just turn green and will be harder to clean than just the smooth bottom. You want to leave that nice green layer of algae as it helps balance the water. Are you gonna have fish and if so they love to nibble on the carpet algae that grows on the sides and bottom.
NO fish but thanks for the answer!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would definitely stay away from the trash bag and sea shells. What about the pebble tile mosaic pieces they have at lowes? You could put that in and then pull it easily to clean and replace.

Ask a Question