Do's and donts of chemical treatments

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Do's and donts of chemical treatments

1) Be sure to check all water parameters, such as temperature, ammonia nitrite, nitrate ph before, during and after the use of any medications in your pond, ensure that your filters are in pristine condition.

2) Never put chemicals in a pond with water quality problems i'e water perameters

3) Always remember you must switch off U/V's before medicating your pond.

4) Ensure you have diagnosed the correct problem before you treat your for parasites, investing in a microscope will help you identifing your problem parasites

5) Make sure that the gallonage of your pond is correctly calculated as overdosing medication can kills koi, and underdosing wont help them .

6) Always read the manufacturers or suppliers instructions carefully for directions of use, dose per gallon and frequency of use, never hazzard a guess.

7) Always wear rubber gloves when handling chemicals, remember to wear protective glasses ensure you cover your skin,

8) Be temperature aware when using treatments on your pond as most chemicals cannot be used below 10c-50f

9) Introduce additional oxygen when treating a pond by adding extra airstones to the pond .

10) When putting medication in the pond mix the measured dose with a larger quantity of pond water and gradually distribute using a watering can around the entire pond surface this allows for a good covering of the pond with the treatment being used

11) Treatments always place a strain on your ponds filteration, so possible stop feeding 48 hours prior to treating your koi

12) Remember you must treat the pond at a suitable time of day making sure that you are there to observe any adverse reaction to the medicaton.
Should this occur however remember to act quickly and do a water change to remove it

13) Never use chemicals that are past their expiry date, always date them when you buy them. and mark with the dosage , throw away any that have been open for 6 months this is so that you know the optimum time you can use the medication for .

14) Remember to store correctly away from children in a locked container or drawer and at the correct temperature ready for use again

15) Never treat an entire pond to medicate one fish when at all possible. Put the ill fish in quarantine for treatment. Treating an entire pond may very well upset the entire eco-system resulting in more damage than cure. This is especially true of anti-bacterial treatments.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would suggest the addition of one more.

-Never treat an entire pond to medicate one fish when at all possible.. Put the ill fish in quarantine for treatment. Treating an entire pond may very well upset the entire eco-system resulting in more damage than cure. This is especially true of anti-bacterial treatments.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I would suggest the addition of one more.

-Never treat an entire pond to medicate one fish when at all possible.. Put the ill fish in quarantine for treatment. Treating an entire pond may very well upset the entire eco-system resulting in more damage than cure. This is especially true of anti-bacterial treatments.
Many thanx for pointing that out Meyer its noted down and I''ll ask ian to add it when we catch up again

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's precisely what I did....medicated my pond to treat a sick fish (not entirely positive it was even parasites). I so wish I had known about this site before I did that. Having such knowledgeable folks so willing to help, right at my fingertips! is wonderful. Thanks for all the info

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Great advise. Not too sure if I need chemicals in my pond yet. But that was great to read. First thing j need is a water testing kit but I'm broke after all the work I've done in my backyard haha

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
UV will negatively impact the effectiveness of some medications.
Meyer is indeed correct when he says this , you must leave it of for the duration of the treatments and only after treatment should you switch it back on again .
Some treatments have a negative effect on your filtration so I suggest you test your water perameters after doing a water change when the treatment has ended

Dave

Ask a Question