Double dose of PondMAX ClearMax killing fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pond was accidentally double doses with PondMAX ClearMax, and my fish are dying because of it, three are already dead and at least 4 others are dying. I did a large water change on the pond and added in fresh dechlorinated water using seachem Prime, but I’m nervous for the fish. Is there anything else I can do to help save my fish? I can’t find anything about what ingredients are in ClearMax, and because of the quarantine all the stores are closing early so no one is available to help.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Checked online, clearly states not to exceed dosage. Do you have an air pump to run? This chemical depleted O2 levels. Anything to aereate the pond may help.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Checked online, clearly states not to exceed dosage. Do you have an air pump to run? This chemical depleted O2 levels. Anything to aereate the pond may help.
I wasn’t the one who added it to the pond, I didn’t even know a second dose had been added until I saw the fish. I have a large fountain running that should be aerating the water

JBViper4

Fishkeeper
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I had a similar situation years back - too much "algaeFix" - killed about half my fish overnight but I took the others out into a fresh bucket of dechlorinated - aerated water and did a complete water change. Down to wet vacuuming the liner and in the cracks. Took the rocks out and rinsed them. Refilled, waited two days and put the survivors in. They're still ok today. Good luck.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did do a pretty big water change on it, we have too many big fish in there to take them out and get them in buckets, but they seem to be doing better now. It’s the little ones I’m worried about, they seem to be having some trouble with breathing, But they’re no longer on their sides or struggling to swim

JBViper4

Fishkeeper
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I did do a pretty big water change on it, we have too many big fish in there to take them out and get them in buckets, but they seem to be doing better now. It’s the little ones I’m worried about, they seem to be having some trouble with breathing, But they’re no longer on their sides or struggling to swim
I didn't have koi at the time, and goldfish are pretty hardy so I might have gotten lucky. I've had a few disasters indoors too that led to the panicky "I can't sleep so I'll just DO this" water change. Keep it aerated and maybe daily 25% water changes?

LOL I kind of overreact when fish start dying.

I feel for you. I care about my fish more than my kids after 51 days of being stuck at home. lol. (kind of).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Uhggg...another case of the all too often I added this fix or that fix and my fish are dying.

Sorry to hear about your devastating disaster. That really sucks. This happens so often I don't know how they even sell all these terrible chemicals. You shouldn't be using any chemicals...period. Even the suggested dosage has killed many fish. The only thing you should be using is dechlorinizer if you are on central (treated) water.

If you're trying to get rid of excess algae, green water, there are better ways than chemicals. Plants and more plants to compete with and starve out the algae. Is your filtration adequate? How many fish, what type and size are they? How many gallons is the pond?

Hope it all resumes to normalcy soon and a minimum of hurt fishies.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm truly sorry to hear about your disaster @Masa01. I hope you're lucky enough to have some survivors. I personally wouldn't recommend adding anything like that to the pond. Typically, chemicals like that are more of a way of hiding the problem than truly fixing it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Catch your fish get them out of that water. Do your best to match the water temp and get them into a hospital tank/ bucket / trash can with a new trash bag lining the can. Get air into the STORAGE CONTAINER AND ADD STRESS COAT . it is The only additive i ever use.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1588172959218.gif
@Masa01
So sorry for this happening to your fish. I like the water changes and aeration idea's. Hope they make it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm so sorry to hear this happened! I hope you figure out a way to save your remaining fish. I'm with @poconojoe - chemicals and living creatures just don't mix well!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Get rid of the chemicals and use plants to keep your water in good shape. I filter with only plants, never add chemicals.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I just used pond max pond clean all my baby fish died momma is still alive do I have to change water or will it evaporate

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I just used pond max pond clean all my baby fish died momma is still alive do I have to change water or will it evaporate
Sorry about your fish, that doesn't sound good. This is why we don't recommend using any chemicals.
We prefer natural solutions for any "problems ".

I would think a partial water change would help dilute that stuff, but I honestly am not familiar with that product.

It's best to post more info about your pond so others that are in the know can be more helpful.

How many gallons does the pond hold or at least the rough measurements and depth.

Your climate.

How many fish, their size and type.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Can you post a picture of the product you used? Was it to remove algae? Those chemicals can reduce oxygen levels quickly. I would do a partial water change and be sure to treat for chlorine or chloramine if using city water.

Ask a Question