Dragon Flies, Constant Aerial Entertainment :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was sitting out by the pond enjoying a cup of coffee today and the dragon flies. We have had more dragon flies this year then ever before and many different sizes and colors. I attempted to video the show. Unfortunately my camera is not the best, but here you go. :) I also took a couple pictures :)

DSCN4101_zps56d0effd.jpg

DSCN4099_zps6f227f4d.jpg

DSCN4098_zps6e0dfbcc.jpg

DSCN4107_zpsa54ab3db.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
very cool! I occasionally get a dragonfly by my 400 gallon pond. I'm trying to bring in some more, but probably next year when i start adding some prairie plants. I sure could use their help with the mosquitoes!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Wow, your pond is beautiful!

I saw one blue one the other day and I was so excited!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
JBtheExplorer said:
very cool! I occasionally get a dragonfly by my 400 gallon pond. I'm trying to bring in some more, but probably next year when i start adding some prairie plants. I sure could use their help with the mosquitoes!
They like vertical plants -- grasses and rushes. I'll see them land on a lily-pad once in awhile, but they land on the grasses while mating to drop their eggs. I have lots of little dragonflies this year, but not many of the larger ones.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Shdwdrgn said:
They like vertical plants -- grasses and rushes. I'll see them land on a lily-pad once in awhile, but they land on the grasses while mating to drop their eggs. I have lots of little dragonflies this year, but not many of the larger ones.
Funny thing is the black and blue ones like sitting on that yellow flag iris. To take those pictures, I just sat next to the iris for a minute or two until one landed. I did not have to wait long. And I noticed the orange/reddish ones like sitting a top the canna lily. All I had to to do was sit by the canna for a minute or two and they showed up. Seems funny they are so specific as to where they like to sit.

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
We started noticing some dragon flies hanging around more with our pond running now... But nothing like yours! Holy moly, that's a small lake you have!!'

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
WOW, just love your pond, and enjoyed the show! Thanks for sharing! Have never seen that many DF's at one time, in one place.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks! I have never seen them as thick as they are this year. It is like there is no free space in the air above the pond there is so much going on this year. My husband and I spend a lot of time out there and the DFs will fly right in front of our faces about a foot away stop and hover there for a minute then fly away. They also fly tight circles around our heads. Last year we had very few so i am surprised to see so many this year.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Pecan, very lovely and thanks for sharing it.

It makes me want to put plants back into my pond.

Saving that youtube video on my computer so I can come back to watch it and just keep it on a loop like a screensaver. :)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I spotted a huge one yesterday laying eggs on the new lotus plant leaves. Almost 4" long! Never seen one that large before. I'm going to start taking the camera down when I go to feed. Every year in late summer, hundreds of dragonflies will swarm our zoysia lawn up front and eat all the mosquitos in the afternoon.

Reaction score
Last year I had a lots of dragonflys I had every color, I had big ones and little ones and this year I haven't had very many at all. I also had a bat that flew over the pond but no bat this year:(.

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Pecan, you have a wonderful pond.
I seldom notice dragonflies visiting my little pond, but I know they must be visiting because I'm always finding dragonfly nymphs when I clean out the filters. I imagine your pond must be loaded with them.

Ask a Question