DrDave

Reaction score
I would love to know more on your 55 gallon barrel filters. Like the tubing and the bottle caps. I have 5 of those we will be installing on our pond I have some filter media and a friend in KY thats gonna send more but I would like to make a few like what you have. Also I plan on putting ball valves on the bottom of mine so that I can drain them easier for cleaning.One more question did you put your pump before the barrels of after the barrels?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have a Beckett W1150 pump feeding my 55 gallon bio filter through flex line also sold with the Beckett products at Home Depot. The water overflows back into the pond through a cascading waterfall. It comes out crystal clear. Do a search here and you will find photos that I have posted.

Reaction score
Thanks so much, even tho I have a big pond I have well under 1000 in it and I am still on a budget. I needed to know the best way to do the barrels so that they work for me and the pond lol.I have people saving bottle caps for me and I am gonna buy the irrigation line like you for the barrels. I won a sequence pump at the Louisville koi show last weekend I did not know if we should put it before or after the filters.

BlakeA

koiboy
Reaction score
luvmyasagis said:
Thanks so much, even tho I have a big pond I have well under 1000 in it and I am still on a budget. I needed to know the best way to do the barrels so that they work for me and the pond lol.I have people saving bottle caps for me and I am gonna buy the irrigation line like you for the barrels. I won a sequence pump at the Louisville koi show last weekend I did not know if we should put it before or after the filters.

I can't seem to find where he told about these, but are they just ordinary bottle caps from 2 liter or 20 ounce soda bottles?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
luvmyasagis said:

pump before the barrels

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Do a search under "posts" for "bio filter and drdave" You will find photos of both mine and drcases bio filters with either pads of tubes as the media. You can use bottle caps in place of either and they will work.

The irrigation tubing will release all of its water when flushed, unlike the other 2 that will trap some, this gives it a better cleaning. More trapped solids will be removed and the filter will go longer between cleaning.

I hope this helps you find the photos and posts.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
That will work as well as the tubes. No trapped solids. I saw this in a an aquarium warehouse recently. I couldn't believe they were getting about $60 for a box of strapping material. Great idea, but I think it can be purchased for less at a shipping supplier.

Reaction score
Sweet, I will be so glad to get it going.I am excited to see how my pump is going to work. I won in a raffle at a koi show. I have always used submersible pumps and this one is an external thats why I did not know if I should put it before or after the filters.I bumped up the threds with the two of your filters.

Ask a Question