Dream builds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I know I’m not the only one who dreams of building a better pond or even a small indoor one. I’ve got designs for one of each going in my head, but time and money and manual labor limit me! So let’s start a thread about what we wish we could do, features we want, and brain storm together to see if we can all help each other reach that dream, or at least get closer!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’d love to see this thread help new folks learn, give ideas to experienced keepers, and maybe even get folks together in person where they live close enough to pitch in and lend a hand. I’ve had multiple set backs on my plans, so I think I’ll continue to dream of what I wish to do until time and money are better! Even so, having a thread to mull over logistics and new ideas will help.
Tell us, what do you wish to do with what you have, or what do you wish you could do? My biggest dream would require winning the lottery, to build an addition to the house dedicated just to a pond room, glass panel walls,( totally not practical in tornado alley!) with a built in swim pond, a stream that runs around the walls, plants, places to just sit and enjoy a book and coffee,.... so I’ll settle for realistic. A pond outside with a small bog that waterfalls into the pond, which incidentally is the spot I’d pick for the addition if I won the lotto! And inside, I’m designing a huge tank for my sun room which used to be a porch, so concrete floor. That ones on hold until we redo siding, insulation, and level the concrete. But I’m dreaming of when I can do what I want there!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have a pear tree at the edge of the pond now, it will eventually fall, as branches fall off ever year. I see chipmunk come out of it now and then. Still produces pears like crazy. Once it falls, I want to expand my pond. This will be a major up grade. I believe I will have bog this go round. The pond is 18ft x 26ft now. I would like to go 30ft x 50ft. Not sure if it will ever happen but that is the plan.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We're pretty landlocked with our pond now - the backyard is either pond, gardens, or patio, with just a small side yard for the dogs. We have big plans for the front yard, though, which of course include a water feature of some type. I'm not thinking pond, but maybe a small stream or nice waterfall. My husband likes the idea of a more formal feature - so let the negotiations begin! Good thing we have all winter to "discuss". haha!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I believe I will have bog this go round. The pond is 18ft x 26ft now. I would like to go 30ft x 50ft. Not sure if it will ever happen but that is the plan.
That would be beautiful! I am not land locked but am slope locked. I would need to do a lot of digging and creating huge berms to make the land level enough. I had to drop the up slope edge of the pond 4 feet and build up the down slope side of the pond around 8 feet to make a flat area for a pond. Older and wiser...............happy with what I have! Well after I added another 9ish ponds all different sizes.

The only thing I might have done different is figure out a way to dig into the slope more to make the stream wider and deeper. But on a 25 degree slope it was hard to do. Mine does fine...............

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ah, but this is dream big! So, if you won a pond lottery, anything from leveling to different plants could be done! I’m afraid where I’m putting my pond may not get as much sun as my lillies would like, so I’d have to do my lotus pond as well to get the flowers I adore. That spot gets much more sun. Where the pond is, I have a thicket of junk plants like the darn tree of paradise saplings that have shot up. I’ll have to get in there and chop them down again, tear the dirt up to dig out the roots, and see if I can prevent them growing there again for a time.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol ......................hire someone to do everything, except what I feel like doing.........................

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Bigger w/bog,stream and just shubbies and a gazebo built over and decorative fencing and a force field to keep out critters that want to feast on my fish.

Well you said dream pond so I went a bit Star Trekkie
spock2_.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If we dream big, we wouldn’t have hungry herons or raccoons! I see a blue heron at the creek often, I wonder if he’s ever scoped out my fish! But yeah, I think I’ll need to fence mine too. Unless I win the lottery and can do the full room addition!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Canada
I know I’m not the only one who dreams of building a better pond or even a small indoor one. I’ve got designs for one of each going in my head, but time and money and manual labor limit me! So let’s start a thread about what we wish we could do, features we want, and brain storm together to see if we can all help each other reach that dream, or at least get closer!
I am living the dream over here( Northern Canada).. well if it warmer I would be, haha.. I did rebuild my pond and I did build another pond indoors to winter my koi...

Ask a Question