Dripping from back of skimmer box

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hey guys. I just turned my pond on for the first time today! I have a helix skimmer with plumbing coming out of the back into hard pvc and sending water up to my bog. The problem is that I see a small drip coming from where the pvc fitting goes into the skimmer. I can't tighten it anymore since all the pvc is glued. I know it was super tight though. Is there a plumbers tape or silicone I could use to fix this? It drips about once every 30 seconds so not horrible but I want to take care of it. (The water in the bottom of the hole in my picture is from rain we’ve had). I’m glad that water was there otherwise I may not have noticed the drip.

Attachments

• 94B26288-6D03-4082-A603-69249D0FB242.jpeg
    94B26288-6D03-4082-A603-69249D0FB242.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 55

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Hey guys. I just turned my pond on for the first time today! I have a helix skimmer with plumbing coming out of the back into hard pvc and sending water up to my bog. The problem is that I see a small drip coming from where the pvc fitting goes into the skimmer. I can't tighten it anymore since all the pvc is glued. I know it was super tight though. Is there a plumbers tape or silicone I could use to fix this? It drips about once every 30 seconds so not horrible but I want to take care of it. (The water in the bottom of the hole in my picture is from rain we’ve had). I’m glad that water was there otherwise I may not have noticed the drip.
A silicone bead around the fitting "should" work. My only concern would be the drip may not allow it enough time to cure, but I don't think so. If that does end up being the case though, you could try any underwater sealant and it should do the trick.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Looks like a bulkhead fitting down there, if so more than likely the rubber gasket got twisted or some dirt or junk where it seals to the skimmer housing. Loosening it and making sure it is clean around the rubber gasket/washer, then retightening it should do it. Unless rubber is damaged.... Also, if you are using a wrench of some sort to tighten you don’t want to over tighten it, that can cause it to leak as well. Lastly slow leaks over time can stop on their own as thing swell, etc.

@Jagsfan wouldnt use silicone on a bulkhead fitting that will usually cause them to leak, as long as everything is clean and bulkhead parts aren’t damaged it will seal, normally.

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Looks like a bulkhead fitting down there, if so more than likely the rubber gasket got twisted or some dirt or junk where it seals to the skimmer housing. Loosening it and making sure it is clean around the rubber gasket/washer, then retightening it should do it. Unless rubber is damaged.... Also, if you are using a wrench of some sort to tighten you don’t want to over tighten it, that can cause it to leak as well. Lastly slow leaks over time can stop on their own as thing swell, etc.

@Jagsfan wouldnt use silicone on a bulkhead fitting that will usually cause them to leak, as long as everything is clean and bulkhead parts aren’t damaged it will seal, normally.
i think she said she cant tighten or loosen because the other end is cemented together. I may be new to ponds, but not aquarium plumbing. I've used silicone around bulkheads countless times, i dont mean on the threads, i mean around the outside to create a seal that wont let the leak through. Now i agree, taking it apart and checking the gasket and such would be better, but i was trying to offer a solution considering she cant take it apart.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
i think she said she cant tighten or loosen because the other end is cemented together. I may be new to ponds, but not aquarium plumbing. I've used silicone around bulkheads countless times, i dont mean on the threads, i mean around the outside to create a seal that wont let the leak through. Now i agree, taking it apart and checking the gasket and such would be better, but i was trying to offer a solution considering she cant take it apart.
Pvc should be glued or threaded into the back of bulkhead, you can still tighten or loosen the nut on the bulkhead.

I know what you meant but this is different than aquariums as the skimmer housing isn’t glass silicone doesn’t adhere well to plastic and rubber, it ends up being just another imperfection the rubber gasket has to seal around. I’m just telling you it doesn’t work from experience.

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Pvc should be glued or threaded into the back of bulkhead, you can still tighten or loosen the nut on the bulkhead.

I know what you meant but this is different than aquariums as the skimmer housing isn’t glass silicone doesn’t adhere well to plastic and rubber, it ends up being just another imperfection the rubber gasket has to seal around. I’m just telling you it doesn’t work from experience.
I didnt consider it not adhering to plastic and rubber as well. Thanks for that info, now i wont make that mistake in the future haha.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have had bulkhead fittings drip like that. PL Roofing sealant is what I used to fix it. It will probably seal on its own in a couple of days as the water runs thru it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I know it's late, but in the future, use unions on plumbing where you expect/might want to disconnect. If you had, you could loosen the union and turn the pvc. Just a note.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I know it's late, but in the future, use unions on plumbing where you expect/might want to disconnect. If you had, you could loosen the union and turn the pvc. Just a note.
I am really kicking myself on this one. I had actually bought one and didn't use it! I was watching a video on the pond digger and was just following along with what he did and didn't include it. Oh well. Live and learn I suppose. Messing up is what makes us wiser! haha

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have had bulkhead fittings drip like that. PL Roofing sealant is what I used to fix it. It will probably seal on its own in a couple of days as the water runs thru it.
You have given me hope!! I really hope it just magically stops. Maybe if I pray harder... ;) Thank you for the recommendation on what to use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Thank you jhn. I assume I would need to drain the pond down a little to get the water out of the skimmer before I loosen it to clean the washer? And honestly, I can't tell if it's coming from the bulk head or where the pvc fitting is threaded.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Where exactly is it dripping from? The bulkhead fitting or the threads of the PVC male?

Did you use plumber's teflon tape on the threads when you screwed the PVC into the bulkhead fitting?

Yeah, a union would have been nice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Where exactly is it dripping from? The bulkhead fitting or the threads of the PVC male?

Did you use plumber's teflon tape on the threads when you screwed the PVC into the bulkhead fitting?

Yeah, a union would have been nice.
I’m having a hard time figuring that out. I can’t get a good look under the pipe. I’ve considered going in head first and hanging out for a while. My neighbors already know I’m crazy. The good news is that the dripping has definitely slowed down. I’m really hopeful it just magically stops in the next day or so. And yes, I did use Teflon tape.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Since you have the back of the skimmer dug out and open, and as long as the inside of the bulkhead is threaded, put a plug on the inside of the bulkhead, then cut out the plumbing and add a union. Don’t have to drain anything then. Could then checkn very thing to make sure nothing has any defects in it.

Also with Teflon tape on the threads did you wrap it the right way so it doesn’t come off as you thread the plumbing together. That could be it as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'd drain the pond the few inches. Get a new gasket they are cheap. Cut out the pvc to the bulked and install the union and new pvc your probably talking a coupling and a small piece of pipe. Like jhn said there's a fine line between tight and over tight.

Ask a Question