Nick83

Jack of all trades, Master of none.
Reaction score
Weeki Wachee Florida, Home of the mermaids
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
A little over a week ago one of my comets started displaying signs of bloating and had sores on her right side behind the gills. She isn't showing any signs of lethargy and she is eating. Immediately I quarantined the fish and observed her for a day because I wasn't sure what to treat her for. Her scales have been pine coning so right now we are treating her for Dropsy as she is exhibiting the common symptoms. I am treating her with salt and API Malafix every day with frequent water changes and adding api stress coat every water change. None of my other fish in the pond display any signs as I have been vigilant to make sure no one else is showing any signs.

In the beginning, it looked as if she was injured during spawning because the weather here is prime spawning conditions so that is what I had suspected because of her sore and looked like she had some swelling, which first prompted me to get her quarentined.

Attachments

• 20180825_172758-1.jpg
    20180825_172758-1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 267

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I’m sorry about your fish, but it’s good that you had been keeping an eye on her and decided to take action. Sometimes they get sick and we never really know a cause, but a spawning injury very well could have lead to her illness. I hope she does OK!

Nick83

Jack of all trades, Master of none.
Reaction score
Weeki Wachee Florida, Home of the mermaids
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
Thank you, @Mmathis . I'm trying to do everything I can and I'm hoping that I caught it early enough that she has a bigger chance to recover. I know that dropsy is almost always fatal but if there's a chance for a successful recovery I'm going to make sure that I do everything I can to help her. I won't let her suffer if she gets to the point of no return and begins showing signs of being in dire distress.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you, @Mmathis . I'm trying to do everything I can and I'm hoping that I caught it early enough that she has a bigger chance to recover. I know that dropsy is almost always fatal but if there's a chance for a successful recovery I'm going to make sure that I do everything I can to help her. I won't let her suffer if she gets to the point of no return and begins showing signs of being in dire distress.
You never know and all you can do is try!

Ask a Question