Sharp tweasers
Small sharp scissors.
Scraping device such as exacto knives.
Q-tips.
Nitrile, plastic or latex gloves.
Dimilin
Gram scale
Small cups for measuring.
Assorted syringes(no needles)for measuring(10-60CC).
Thermometers(aquarium style-at least two).
Test kits-Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Salt, Ph, GH, Kh.
Hydrogen peroxide.
Oxolinic acid
Tetracycline
Flashlight.
microscope

Reaction score
The tricide Neo looks really interesting, first I have heard of this product, thanks for the info. I take it you do not like PP or for that matter melafix.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IMHO all melafix does is make your pond smell good. I use a lot of Potassium Permanganate It's useful for a lot of things.
nc0gnet0 said:
The tricide Neo looks really interesting, first I have heard of this product, thanks for the info. I take it you do not like PP or for that matter melafix.

Reaction score
ditto. Melafix is just a witches brew. It really does nothing, and most serious pondkeepers will concur with that.

Very helpful list DoDad! Lots of good stuff here.

Reaction score
DoDad

Have you used the tricide neo? Opinions? It looks like it can be used with most other treatments reducing the dosing for the other medication and greatly reducing the chances of the bacteria becoming resistant (and that is huge).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've used as a dip on many of my friends koi ang it works well.
nc0gnet0 said:
DoDad

Have you used the tricide neo? Opinions? It looks like it can be used with most other treatments reducing the dosing for the other medication and greatly reducing the chances of the bacteria becoming resistant (and that is huge).

Reaction score
"
The antibiotic potentiator in Tricide-Neo has a rather interesting mode of activity that facilitates its spectrum of activity. Tricide-Neo creates holes (Figure 2) in the bacterial cell wall which in-turn allows antibiotics to flood the organism, destroys the effectiveness of the bacteria's efflux pump and facilitates osmotic collapse of the bacterium. Because the potentiator causes direct physical damage to the bacteria, one is able to use less antibiotic than would normally be necessary and exposed bacteria are less likely to develop resistance to the chosen antibiotic."

Taken from: http://www.koivet.com/koivet/index....or-koi&catid=36:medicine-treatments&Itemid=57

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Is it possible for koi fish to be bloated with dropsy, but not have the pinecone scales or the bulging eyes? I have a few koi fish in my indoor tank that are quite swollen. They are too small to be full of eggs, about seven or eight inches. I am hoping it is not dropsy, and if it is, I hope it is very early on. Any help?

Reaction score
at 7-8 inches, they are right to be full of eggs. It can't be full-blown dropsy without the other symptoms. I have a comet right now that is about 6 inches and bloated--she's just full of eggs.

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I see. these are my first koi, so I wasn't sure. When full of eggs, do they bulge up mainly on the lower belly area? That is where mine are swollen. Anyone have a side-view of a female koi full of eggs?

Reaction score
ZmanArt007 said:
I see. these are my first koi, so I wasn't sure. When full of eggs, do they bulge up mainly on the lower belly area? That is where mine are swollen. Anyone have a side-view of a female koi full of eggs?

yes, sounds like they are full of eggs. Now weather the males are ready to take care of business is another matter.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Bloating cam be caused from a internal bacterial infection or the malfunctioning of the kidneys.
How much do you feed them?
Sometimes young koi will pig out
If you feed young koi to much it can cause fat to form around the gut.

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
ok I got 6 new 2" koi fish this weekend for use in one of my lab experiments, and gave them all thoruogh inspection before placing them in the two pools they are being kept in. They all were fine, no open wounds, no parasites, no odd body shapes, nothing. But this morning I walk out and observe the fish, to see that one of them now has eyes the size and shape of green peas! Is this the beginning of dropsy? He has no bulging body or scales sticking out, his eyes are just popping out of his head. Is this a different disease? Help would be great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It could be popeye.
If it's Popeye put them in your q-tank and add salt till it reachs .6. That's .1 salt a day till you reach .6
This worked for me.
ZmanArt007 said:
ok I got 6 new 2" koi fish this weekend for use in one of my lab experiments, and gave them all thoruogh inspection before placing them in the two pools they are being kept in. They all were fine, no open wounds, no parasites, no odd body shapes, nothing. But this morning I walk out and observe the fish, to see that one of them now has eyes the size and shape of green peas! Is this the beginning of dropsy? He has no bulging body or scales sticking out, his eyes are just popping out of his head. Is this a different disease? Help would be great.

Ask a Question