Drum size for 1500 Gallon Pond ?

Reaction score
Before ' diving in ' to the project, I believe there's a rule of thumb that a 55 gallon drum is adequate for a 1500 gallon pond ?

My pond is lightly stocked with 6 medium sized Koi.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
you would be on the very top end
with weekly flushing during the feeding season you would be fine

Reaction score
My ponds dimensions are 10' Wide x 15' Long and 2.5 deep on average. According to pond calculations it says i am between 2300-2500 gal pond. Question, What size skippy filter would I be able to get away with? Would a 85 gal or 100 gal stock tank be enough turning the water about once to one and a half times per hour. I can pick up a 85 gal tuff stuff tank at feed store for $80 or a rubbermaid 100 gal for $110 at Ace hardware store or do I have to kick it up a notch to a 150 gal tank ($140)? Any ideas where I can find these tanks alittle cheaper....Thnxs

PS3

Reaction score
the 55 gallon drum is plnty for a pond your size. i built a skippy
out of a 55 gallon drum it works awesome. there are pics here of it

Reaction score
I disagree, PS3. A 55g drum is made to work on a pond up to 1500g. That would mean John is at capacity. He'd be way better off going larger. Whether two 55's run in parallel or a 100g stock tank. That way he can be ensured better than average water quality.

You can stick with the bare minimum requirement or you can have a bit more filtration then you need. You will never hear complaints from someone that overfilters, but you will hear yelps from those that underfilter.

You have a 1000g pond, so a 55g barrel would be perfect for you, as you would be overfiltering. Once you get to the 1500g mark, you can get basically get away with a single barrel IF you have a low number of fish and do perfect water maintenance. Most of us are usually overstocked and under clean. So, the bigger filter balances it all out.

Technically you are correct, but I would push for John to get something a tad bigger.

Ask a Question