Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1591544800601.gif
@smithmal

Reaction score
Megamilez,

Much larger than micro with is million times small than a gram. More like gram or milligram sizes which is why thick layers of muck settle on the bottom and peoples pond motor's tend to burn out faster. Microgram/nanogram sizes will either solubilize or move through you filter system since their specific gravity is not much more than water (i.e. they will float).

Thanks for the filter media link. I'm interested to know why you choose this specific media? One of the key benefits of filter media in a heavy organic environment like duck pond water is that they provide an environment for biofilms to attach to, grow which in turn help break down the organic material in the water (duck poo). Would this media do help colonize biofilms or are you just using it to trap particles? If the later, how would the particles be removed from the filter overtime? Would you be pulling out or draining your biofilter container and rinsing it out?

The choice of the Laguna pump/filter is a good choice. I know of another individual building a pond at the moment who is also going with the Laguna pump. This pump was also chosen to be used at this duck pond build link: https://www.tyrantfarms.com/how-to-build-a-backyard-pond-with-diy-biofilter/

Does anyone else here have any reccomendations on external pond pumps?

smithmal

Ah! I see. I'll have to look into it then. I see a ton of "diy" setups with it - so if it really removes the particulate matter that sinks, it would likely be of great benefit to my setup as well. Do you have an idea of how you plan to construct yours? I'd be happy to hear about it.

There wasn't any reason I chose that particular brand, but when I used the sand filter with the sand media, it clogged instantly. So I tried this type of media because of that - and it worked really great, but clogged in a week as well. Considering they are all fabric balls, it was time consuming to rinse them all off so it isn't the best solution - but it does work. I dont think they are intended to be bio media but I might be wrong. The idea is that they are light weight and washable.

Great to hear that I chose a good pump. I'll for sure check out that build.

In the meantime, I hope you post about your construction of the swirl filter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Megamilez,

How much muck buildup do you get on that filter bag that you surround your pump with?

Reaction score
QUESTION!

Okay so considering how inexpensive the swirl filter is, I am strongly considering adding one. So a few questions.
1. I assume I'd place it BEFORE the pressurized biofilter. That way it doesn't get backed up.
2. If my pump is 960gph, would I worry about overflow with a 5gal bucket?

Anyone have a checklist of required pvc/ect?

Thanks!!

Reaction score
Alright I ordered everything - but it wasn't as inexpensive as everyone makes swirl filters out to be ugh. This is turning into a bigger project so it better work properly!

Reaction score
Country
United States
QUESTION!

Okay so considering how inexpensive the swirl filter is, I am strongly considering adding one. So a few questions.
1. I assume I'd place it BEFORE the pressurized biofilter. That way it doesn't get backed up.
2. If my pump is 960gph, would I worry about overflow with a 5gal bucket?

Anyone have a checklist of required pvc/ect?

Thanks!!

What design are you going with? Are you building a swirl flow filter or a radial filter? I've seen radial filters using 5 gallon buckets, but not swirl flow filters.

The best design for a swirl filter is to incorporate the filter into a cone bottom tank (sometimes called an inductor tank). Unfortunately unless you are near a distributor, these tanks can be mucho expensive to purchase and have shipped. I'm got mine from SprayerDepot. Here's a link: https://www.sprayerdepot.com/products/30-gallon-inductor-tank. This vendor charged the least amount in shipping from everywhere I looked online.

If you'd like to read more about swirl and radial flow filters here's a great pub talking about the difference:

Swirl filters are more efficient at removing large particles. Forum discussions of radial vs swirl also agree that swirl filters do a better job. The trick is to make your tank large enough so you can slow down the water flow to allow the solids to be properly separated from the water. Swirl Flow filters do a better job of creating a slow moving column of water to increase the amount of particles that settle at the bottom of the filter tank. The more particle removal, the less solids you have to deal with for your downstream filters (bio/hydroponic, etc).

Last edited:
Reaction score
What design are you going with? Are you building a swirl flow filter or a radial filter? I've seen radial filters using 5 gallon buckets, but not swirl flow filters.

The best design for a swirl filter is to incorporate the filter into a cone bottom tank (sometimes called an inductor tank). Unfortunately unless you are near a distributor, these tanks can be mucho expensive to purchase and have shipped. I'm got mine from SprayerDepot. Here's a link: https://www.sprayerdepot.com/products/30-gallon-inductor-tank. This vendor charged the least amount in shipping from everywhere I looked online.

If you'd like to read more about swirl and radial flow filters here's a great pub talking about the difference:

Swirl filters are more efficient at removing large particles. Forum discussions of radial vs swirl also agree that swirl filters do a better job. The trick is to make your tank large enough so you can slow down the water flow to allow the solids to be properly separated from the water. Swirl Flow filters do a better job of creating a slow moving column of water to increase the amount of particles that settle at the bottom of the filter tank. The more particle removal, the less solids you have to deal with for your downstream filters (bio/hydroponic, etc).

I am building mine (swirl). I ended up going with a 15 gal container after doing research last night I also felt that 5 gal was too small. My design is as follows:

1 in inlet with a 90 degree elbow to initiate the swirl
1 1/4 in outlet with a 90 degree elbow at the center, followed by a 1 1/4 to 3 in expander to catch more water quickly
1 in drain with ball valve attached to a hose on the inside for a makeshift vacuum.
Some bags of bio media will be at the bottom to help clean as well as prevent the waste from being stirred up after it settles.

My setup will be running 10ft hose from the pump which should slow the rate of flow enough to make the functionality of it just fine. From there, it will go directly to my pressurized biofilter which will be right next to it, then travel back to where the pump is located (approx 10ft).

The point in my application of the swirl filter is to lessen the load of the biofilter significantly and hope to extend maintenance/cleaning and water changes.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Oh here you are! I hope you'll come back and see that we really are friendly!

We have the Aquascape Aquaforce pump - it's a good pump in my opinion.
I also have the aquascape aquaforce, I love it, and it has an amazing lift height! my only problem with it is the cords outer protection is coming off :(

Ask a Question