Duck Ponds: Viable or hotbeds for bacteria and parasites?

Reaction score
So I've got a pretty thought-up plan for a self-filtering duck pond (~500 Gallons, it's more of little pool for them to enjoy) based on research and studying up on pond DIY... Except a pretty specific concern was raised to me: Bacteria and parasites.

I'll post a more detailed plan later on, but the basic concept follows a sort-of Aquaponic system for the duck pond.
Water is pushed through an airlift (Olomana Gardens really sold me on their effectiveness) into a solids filter, which then goes to grow beds filled with media (the media being above the water level helps prevent algae growth) and plants that act as a sort of "bog". The plants can then be fed back to the ducks rather than consumed by people (concerns over duck-poop water).

I have in fact seen systems similar to this online, and they seem to do a pretty good job clarifying the water, but another posted raised the concern that the invisible danger (bacteria and parasites) that dwell within ducks makes this system unsafe compared to how it might work when farming fresh-water wish.
Apparently the solids filter + grow bed might not be enough to remove these small particles, and the water would still have to be flushed daily anyway...

What are your thoughts on this? This is a pretty serious concern as we intend to keep these ducks for egg-laying.

Here's some media I found on the topic:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We've had folks posting here about duck ponds before, but I don't recall any of the actual outcomes.

Ducks are going to "fowl" a pond (haha!) but with enough filtration, anything is possible. My concern is your small volume of water - how many ducks are we talking here? Parasites may be an issue, but won't the ducks pass the parasites among themselves, pond or no?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1674150880679.gif
@aldren.ramis
Hope whatever you do works for the ducks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I am a veterinarian, have raised ducks, and worked in public health and food safety. You are correct that poultry carry salmonella that can cause infections in people, depending on bacterial load and one’s immune system. That being said, if the plants are being fed back to the ducks and not people, I don’t see a problem. The eggs are contaminated with bacteria anyway because of where they come from. As mentioned, it will take a lot of filtration. They love mud and create a lot of poop. if you can keep the surrounding runoff out of the pond that will help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A small pond, for DUCKs "AKA POOP MACHINES'' i don't think there can be enough filtration for clear waters. I maybe wrong as I haven't tried myself. There is a town pond here that the ducks all hang out at , the people feed them and the water is na na na nasty. and it is a 2 acre pond with at least 60,000 gph constant flow from a clear stream .

Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on airlift or Geyser pumps for these sorts of small pools?
I was surprised but they seem to be the more expensive options (The compressor, connectors, all the PVC to make the airlift), but I've been looking them up and it seems some people just swear by them for ponds that'll have solids floating around (In this case, poop)
Sizing them is certainly more of a challenge. I might experiment with an air compressor I have to see if this is even a viable option.

We've had folks posting here about duck ponds before, but I don't recall any of the actual outcomes.

Ducks are going to "fowl" a pond (haha!) but with enough filtration, anything is possible. My concern is your small volume of water - how many ducks are we talking here? Parasites may be an issue, but won't the ducks pass the parasites among themselves, pond or no?
4 probably, max 5. Layers, probably Pekins but I might get Indian Runners depending on what I can find locally.

I am a veterinarian, have raised ducks, and worked in public health and food safety. You are correct that poultry carry salmonella that can cause infections in people, depending on bacterial load and one’s immune system. That being said, if the plants are being fed back to the ducks and not people, I don’t see a problem. The eggs are contaminated with bacteria anyway because of where they come from. As mentioned, it will take a lot of filtration. They love mud and create a lot of poop. if you can keep the surrounding runoff out of the pond that will help.
Thanks for the advice, that's reassuring to hear.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Air and lots of it will certainly help bacteria growth and affectiveness. Yea the parts have become ridicules. But once set up the energy cost is less how ever they are more for light bio loads I can see them working well in a high load situation. And when you pull down through abiotic media your 5 times more likely to clog much sooner

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ducks are very messy. They bring food and dirt to water in addition to pooping in it.

You can build a duck pond cleaner than most by having an oversized bog filter. I would guess that the bog should be at least the same surface area as the pond. You can grow plants directly in the bog itself and keep it simple. Have the bog waterfall back into the pond for extra aeration.

You can decrease the amount of dirt they bring into the water by having concrete or gravel around the pond itself for several feet, instead of dirt.

I had ducks years ago. They are much messier than chickens both with fouling their water and their waste is messier even on the ground.

Good luck and have fun!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
And I would fence them out of the bog. I did enjoy my ducks. They were cheerful even in the most awful weather.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
This is a pretty serious concern as we intend to keep these ducks for egg-laying.
I assume these are for consumption? I would be careful with that, as it matters the conditions and food being fed to the animals that produce eggs for human consumption.

Ask a Question