Duck weed (again)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I have searched on here and saw there are a few posts regarding duck weed. Seems to be a split on whether it's a good addition to the pond or not.

I have got some in my pond, which i assume has come with another plant. I haven't put any in knowingly. I don't have any fish in my pond, so should I get rid of it now while it's reasonably sparce?

I don't think I want it to take over and with no fish to eat it, am I just getting the downside of duckweed without the benefit?

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
duckweed does not die what happens during winter it drops to the bottom like it is dead and then comes back come spring .At least here it does

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ours overwinters, too. Not sure how but it pops back up every spring. We have fish, so they keep it contained. If you don't have fish to eat it, you may want to either get rid of it, or at the very least keep it under control. It's easy enough to scoop out with a net.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Ours overwinters, too. Not sure how but it pops back up every spring. We have fish, so they keep it contained. If you don't have fish to eat it, you may want to either get rid of it, or at the very least keep it under control. It's easy enough to scoop out with a net.

I did buy a 'spoonful' a couple of months ago, but never put it in the pond. I put that in a bucket of water and have since decided not to put it in the pond as the bucket is literally full of it.

I don't know where this has come from. I will take it out (and put the bucketful on the compost heap.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have searched on here and saw there are a few posts regarding duck weed. Seems to be a split on whether it's a good addition to the pond or not.

I have got some in my pond, which i assume has come with another plant. I haven't put any in knowingly. I don't have any fish in my pond, so should I get rid of it now while it's reasonably sparce?

I don't think I want it to take over and with no fish to eat it, am I just getting the downside of duckweed without the benefit?
Yes, unless you enjoy the carpet effect on the water's surface. Get rid of it now if you don't want it. Sooner is better. Since there are no fish to consume it, exponential growth is assured. The best time to do it is when conducting a partial water exchange. Briefly stop your filter, slightly lower the water level and wipe any away from the sides of the pond. Net the rest out. Absolutely none can be left in the pond. A gold fish will also make quick work of the stuff.
Stephen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Get rid of it. It's not bad, it'll just take over with no fish or turtles to keep it in check.

We have some in a small plant pool at our store, it hitched along with some thalia. The pool has no filtration nor skimmer, so I just scoop it out with the net as I'm removing stray leafs and algae clumps. We had a kiddie pool at the house that wasn't being regularly skimmed out, and the duckweed covered the surface and spread all throughout the other plants.

Ask a Question