I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wonder if they will make a home there?
I had pet ducks when I was a kid and later on when I had kids we had 2 ducks also. Always have a soft spot in my heart for the ducks. Like that music in your video also. Sounds Scotch or Irish.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A few years ago I had a pair of ducks in my 30g pond. They destroyed my water lily, no big deal then, but I fear my bigger pond will be like a magnet to them.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have them land now and then, but they have not stayed for an extended visit

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have had them visit for a few days in a row but then they disappeared and I never saw them again. They like to walk in my creek, didn't swim much in the pond though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Wonder if they will make a home there?
I had pet ducks when I was a kid and later on when I had kids we had 2 ducks also. Always have a soft spot in my heart for the ducks. Like that music in your video also. Sounds Scotch or Irish.
I do not think they will at all. I have 3 dogs so not a good match. They where just checking out the area

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have had them visit for a few days in a row but then they disappeared and I never saw them again. They like to walk in my creek, didn't swim much in the pond though.
Not sure if mine will come back but at least they made an appearance :)

Reaction score
We got ducks a few days after our pond started to fill up - we were very excited as we love watching them waddle around - however, we have been advised not to encourage them until our pond is fully established, as they have a taste for fresh new shoots - and given the price of pond plants, they could be a very expensive addition to a pond. We also had two very annoying Canada geese that would land on our lawn at the crack of dawn and stand outside our bedroom window honking. I spent a couple of weeks running after them in my dressing gown until I managed to comically slip over one frosty morning and realised I needed a better solution. They have a perfect sense of how long it takes to get close to them - I'd start running at them, while they would slowly waddle down to the pond and glide into the middle where I couldn't get close to them - and then taunt me by honking at me again. The solution to make them go away is quite simple - get some brightly coloured rope and make it criss-cross your pond, 6" above the water-line. This "spooks" them - they like to be able to land on and take off from water, so they soon leave your pond alone. It doesn't look good of course - we're treating it as a necessity though until the pond has established. For mallard and other ducks, rope a few inches off the ground around the pond will spook them. Ours did work out how to land in a "vertical take off" fashion on the pond - and it was quite amusing watching them duck their heads to go under the ropes - they soon decided it wasn't an ideal situation though, and seem to be frequenting our neighbours large pond instead!

Ask a Question