Ducks in the pond. Good or bad?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our 1600 gal pond is up and running which is great. Started out with 3 small koi about 2 weeks ago. Today 2 ducks came by and went for a swim. My wife and I were debating whether to chase them away or let them stay. We are only a couple of miles away from the lake and have seen ducks around before we had a pond. My guess is they will be back. So should we enjoy watching them or chase them away? Actually, they just flew back in the yard now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have had ducks this year. I am told they can cause algae issues because of their "duck waste". My pond is pretty large 5000-6000 gallons so I wasn't too concerned about that. But then they started crushing my bog plants from sitting on them, sitting on my floating planters crushing those plants and eating the rest and then knocking rocks off the falls into the deep part of the pond 40" deep.

I was not happy.

Every time they showed up I would get out there and try to chase them off but they would just swim to the other side of the pond mocking me LOL. My husband said I looked like a crazy woman out there running around the pond screaming, I probably did LOL. But then I taught my chihuahua to be a good bird dog LOL. He didn't care about the ducks until one day I was standing in the water cleaning the pump off while the ducks where in there and that really pissed my little guy off. It was no big deal until his momma was in the water with the ducks, then his internal bird dog all the sudden emerged. He went crazy running around the pond trying to get those darn ducks away from his momma until the flew away. I told him what a good dog he was and gave him a treat. Now he guards the pond for ducks and if they show up he runs them off. They don't show up anymore. LOL

Reaction score
I like ducks and would like to have let them stay. The do eat some plants which I'd be OK with and I'd be willing to deal with the waste at least for one season. But my yard at the time would have been a poor nesting spot, small, enclosed. The little ones would have had to stay in the yard until they could fly off, so that would have been kind of a big responsibility for me as I would have had to feed them. Maybe the ducks know this? (doubt it) And while I would have been willing to deal with waste from 2 adult ducks it might have been too much if it was a large brood and as they got bigger so would the mess. So I always chased them off after a few visits and they started to get serious looking for a nest site.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't know if they are serious about setting up camp and staying. We had one make a nest and lay eggs between the house and a bush. That was a couple of years ago. It made me jump when it flew out as I was cutting the grass. I learned to check for it after that time. Unfortunately, something ate the eggs and it never came back. There nice to look at, but my concern really is the effect that they'll have on the pond. I'd love to let them do their thing, but don't want the pond and fish to suffer.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I wouldn't recommend you incourage them to stay. Ducks can do a lot of damage to plants and in most cases a ponds filtration will not handle to much duck waste before starting to cause problems, Even in ponds as large as 5000-6000 gallons That's a small ond for a duck. also be aware that if you have small fish ducks can do as much damage as a snake or feral cat. Do they normally attack fish, no, but the right bird in the right condition that is hungry will. Some species are more likely to get a fish than others. I've seen pecking (Normally the common white ducks) and Mallards (Green Heads) eat small fish in lakes while fishing. So just beaware. I too would love to have ducks but if they are going to visit our home I'm going to have to incourage they stay at the natural pond and not the water garden.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Some, such as Mergansers, won't hurt your plants. Your FISH, now that's another story!
John

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had ducks this year. I am told they can cause algae issues because of their "duck waste". My pond is pretty large 5000-6000 gallons so I wasn't too concerned about that. But then they started crushing my bog plants from sitting on them, sitting on my floating planters crushing those plants and eating the rest and then knocking rocks off the falls into the deep part of the pond 40" deep.

I was not happy.

Every time they showed up I would get out there and try to chase them off but they would just swim to the other side of the pond mocking me LOL. My husband said I looked like a crazy woman out there running around the pond screaming, I probably did LOL. But then I taught my chihuahua to be a good bird dog LOL. He didn't care about the ducks until one day I was standing in the water cleaning the pump off while the ducks where in there and that really pissed my little guy off. It was no big deal until his momma was in the water with the ducks, then his internal bird dog all the sudden emerged. He went crazy running around the pond trying to get those darn ducks away from his momma until the flew away. I told him what a good dog he was and gave him a treat. Now he guards the pond for ducks and if they show up he runs them off. They don't show up anymore. LOL
hurray for you...triumphed!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
another-fish-welcome.gif
@ponderant

Ask a Question