Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm jealous.

I haven't had ducks at all this year. This is the first time in over a decade - even before I had a pond - that ducks haven't been seen in my or my neighbors yards. They nested here in 2016 and 2017, but hardly visited at all last year. No sign of them at all this year.

Coincidentally, I was visiting my grandma yesterday and found a duck nest in her yard! It had about 8 eggs so far. She was surprised to hear that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I glanced out at the pond this morning and saw a bit of commotion as these two landed. What fun! They swam around a bit and then made a big kerfuffle and took off.

(I can't believe I'm showing you guys my pond before I've done any housekeeping! It's like I invited you in my house and didn't bother to straighten up! haha! WE'VE HAD A VERY SLOW START TO SPRING!)

Jkm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5-6
Country
United States
Here they are, back again this morning. I put out some scratch grains yesterday to make them feel welcome. The pond is completely unfinished - the plan is to finish the waterfall and perimeter rocks this week, and plant it heavily the beginning of May. I’m hoping they won’t get too rattled and will come back even if they get scared off by the activity.
F334D23E-E5D2-4E05-9487-92E554F200F1.jpeg

Jkm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5-6
Country
United States
I'm jealous.

I haven't had ducks at all this year. This is the first time in over a decade - even before I had a pond - that ducks haven't been seen in my or my neighbors yards. They nested here in 2016 and 2017, but hardly visited at all last year. No sign of them at all this year.

Coincidentally, I was visiting my grandma yesterday and found a duck nest in her yard! It had about 8 eggs so far. She was surprised to hear that.

I love your pond showcase! Great job!

Jkm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5-6
Country
United States
I glanced out at the pond this morning and saw a bit of commotion as these two landed. What fun! They swam around a bit and then made a big kerfuffle and took off.

(I can't believe I'm showing you guys my pond before I've done any housekeeping! It's like I invited you in my house and didn't bother to straighten up! haha! WE'VE HAD A VERY SLOW START TO SPRING!)

View attachment 119739
Beautiful!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We had ducks and turkeys yesterday morning. They should come back if you work on your pond. Keep putting out the scratch grains, they will come back. Some days my wife and I will both be out having a fire with both dogs and they still land. Looking forward to pics of the finished product.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have them here, but they never leave the farm fields and get near our yard. Usually see a nice size flock.

Jkm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5-6
Country
United States
We had ducks and turkeys yesterday morning. They should come back if you work on your pond. Keep putting out the scratch grains, they will come back. Some days my wife and I will both be out having a fire with both dogs and they still land. Looking forward to pics of the finished product.

Omigosh I forgot about the turkeys - every year we get a couple dozen youngsters coming through the neighborhood, getting stuck behind fences and open gates (they are seriously the dumbest birds...) I expect we'll get them stopping at the pond this year as they walk through. I expect it to be a lively place once finished (I'll post pictures of the finished pond).

Right now there is one solitary little 2" goldfish in the pond. It somehow survived the Great Pond-of Death Massacre of 2018, and spent the winter in the horse water tank in the barn. It's kinda dark in the barn, and now that the water deicer is removed the water tank temp is the same as the pond, so I decided to give the little guy some sunshine and moved him into the pond. He seems happy enough - but how can you tell? I look forward to giving him bigger goldfish and minnows to hang with.

Ask a Question