Duckweed and fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wildlife pond - no fish. I put a plant in last year and the smallest bit of duckweed must have been in the pot and suddenly it's all over the place.

I have heard that fish eat it so I'm wondering if the best way to get rid of it is to put a couple of goldfish in the pond temporarily and once it's all fone relocate the fish.

I understand this may interfere with the 'balance' of the pond for a while but I'd be open to advice on any disasterous downsides to this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
You would probably be better off just netting it out. This way you wouldn't have to rehome a fish. It's not always easy to find someone to take them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Duckweed is a great plant for exporting nutrients from your pond - just prune it as it grows.
Once the extra nutrients are used up, you'll notice the duckweed will fade in colour and die.
Goldfish will eat it all, but by adding goldfish they of course will add extra nutrients that your pond plants will have to process, so you'll be pruning extra for a while anyways.
Either way, it's up to you.

I have duckweed in one of my indoor aquariums and I prune it regularly and feed it to some goldfish I have in another aquarium.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I've tried the netting out and I have to be honest and say it's not going to work. I had a handful, I got out almost all of it. And now my pond is a third full of it.

I'd like to get another pond with fish and maybe this will inspire me to just do it. I'm not really worried about the relocation bit. I would definitely make sure they were ok. I just want to know, really, if it's a good way to get rid of the duckweed.

Reaction score
Think of the size of a goldfish then look at your pond. Without seeing it I would guess that it would take more than a few fish to take care of the duckweed especially since it spreads fast. If the duckweed can't be scooped out it's invasive then I would start over. Drain the pond, clean it out and refill. There will be those that tell you not to drain it but like a lawn with weeds sometimes you have to kill it off and start fresh.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would just scoop it out as it grows, wildlife critters love coverage.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wish I could take your duck weed! Ive tried to get it established in my pond but the fish devour it all within a day.

How big is the pond - if its not huge its conceivable a few hungry fish could take care of it. Or, since it sits on the surface, what about a skimmer or something that would filter it all out. There are these cheap floating skimmers . I use a cheap ugly Tetra skimmer temporarily ea summer to get rid of pine pollen.

That said, I (and some other folks whose ponds I know) like the looks of duckweed - it softens the edge of the pond and gives a natural look. Some varieties have a reddish tinge that contrasts nicely with the greens of the other plants. Sometimes in life the best solution to a problem is to redefine it as a non problem :cool:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I'll take a picture when I get home this evening. My ponds is 3m x 2m ish. So not massive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Before you buy fish, find someone local who has goldfish, even pet goldfish, and find out if they want the duckweed, or might “ loan you” a few for a bit. I like my duckweed, but like others, the fish eat it all. I have to keep a separate container to grow it for them. Luckily, I have a natural free source just down the road, so I can get a starter when I run out!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Wish I could take your duck weed! Ive tried to get it established in my pond but the fish devour it all within a day.

How big is the pond - if its not huge its conceivable a few hungry fish could take care of it. Or, since it sits on the surface, what about a skimmer or something that would filter it all out. There are these cheap floating skimmers . I use a cheap ugly Tetra skimmer temporarily ea summer to get rid of pine pollen.

That said, I (and some other folks whose ponds I know) like the looks of duckweed - it softens the edge of the pond and gives a natural look. Some varieties have a reddish tinge that contrasts nicely with the greens of the other plants. Sometimes in life the best solution to a problem is to redefine it as a non problem :cool:
Red; you might try the separate container idea. A kiddie pool filled with used pond water works for me, or an old fish tank, which you just top off with fresh pond water as needed. Be sure to put it somewhere semi shaded, and watch for wildlife! I found a big old frog in my tank two years ago, when I shut it down for winter. He got fat eating all the bugs breeding in that, and I found half a dozen fish babies that had somehow ended up in it. I’m guessing I’d scooped some fry with the water. No filter, no air stones, just a tank of stagnant water with frog and some plants, and they did great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom

Attachments

• IMG_20190410_185312771.jpg
    IMG_20190410_185312771.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 176
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
As you can see it won't be long before it completely covers the pond. I don't particularly dislike it but if it completely takes over then my pond will just look like grass.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
As a battle worn veteran of the duckweed war, I can tell you war is hell. Being said, once I gave in I realized suddenly I no longer had nitrate issues in any of my bare bottom breeding tanks. So I scoop and scoop and keep it at bay. Routine maintenance. Strangely it never establishes in the pond. I throw it in there as the fish love it. I also feed it to my Silver Dollars in their tank. The rest hits the compost where it breaks down in what seems like minutes. I ate it in a salad once and it wasn’t half bad. When I need a laugh I think of the time someone on a forum asked where they could find duckweed. Someone replied “Check the duck’s sock drawer.”.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I got duckweed from a plant I bought. It mainly grows in the fishless ponds, when I think it is too thick grab toss in fish filled ponds.................gone!

Ask a Question