Duckweed and fish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I used to hate duckweed, but I've since come to accept that it's a great exporter of nutrients and a source of food for fish.
Sometimes it grows pretty quick, sometimes it dies back. I haven't figured out why yet, but it's obviously telling me something.
Duckweed doesn't survive our winters, but I do have it in my indoor fw aquariums.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Fantastic. I think I will add duckweed to upper pond, then it can float down into lower pond and entertain the new fish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Jamie I like the idea of raising duckweed separately - what other stuff might they like to eat? If we find some and bring home a bunch from the nearest wetland ....do we need to worry about bringing home parasites or anything?

I gave up on growing any type of plant life (except string algae) in my pond. Everything I put in the fish made a huge mess - ripping off the roots of things and maybe eating some of it, but mostly just leaving a mess.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It makes a great fertilizer when taken out and thrown in your garden .My hostas love the stuff

Attachments

• 100_7020.JPG
    100_7020.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 136

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
they drop to the bottom in my pond and then come back to the surface come warmer water temps.

Ask a Question