Duckweed and tadpoles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a really small oval ppond about 20 inches deep by 15 inches at the widest part in South West England which was full of tadpoles in March. I put in some duckweed to keep the water clear and that worked . However, it is now early July and I noticed there were still plenty of legless tadpoles so I have cleared away a lot of the weed leaving the pond clear on half its surface. Do you think the weed cover has delayed the development of the tadpoles? They also look more brown than black.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Frogs spawn about 3rd week in March, but they're ready to go at the back end of July, Mine do anyway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a really small oval ppond about 20 inches deep by 15 inches at the widest part in South West England which was full of tadpoles in March. I put in some duckweed to keep the water clear and that worked . However, it is now early July and I noticed there were still plenty of legless tadpoles so I have cleared away a lot of the weed leaving the pond clear on half its surface. Do you think the weed cover has delayed the development of the tadpoles? They also look more brown than black.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Tadpoles, depending on the species of amphibian, can stay in the tadpole stage through the winter and develop into frogs the following spring/summer. Doubt your duckweed has much to do with it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Tree frogs deposit eggs in a pool we have for water lilies. They start in early spring and are still coming around now. So we have everything from new tiny frogs to very small tadpoles with several different sizes and stages in between.

It may be that you have different aged tadpoles from separate spawnings. And I agree that the duckweed has nothing to do with their sizes.

Ask a Question