Duckweed for a minipond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
United States
Will goldfish eat duckweed?
I was thinking of getting some but it multiplies so quick.
It would be nice if the goldies ate some up to help keep it at bay.

Any thoughts out there?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Will goldfish eat duckweed?
I was thinking of getting some but it multiplies so quick.
It would be nice if the goldies ate some up to help keep it at bay.

Any thoughts out there?

Goldfish will eat every duckweed plant you give them. At least, that was my experience. Before I knew that, I added it in hopes that it would multiply and help cover the surface, but they ate it all. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
United States
Goldfish will eat every duckweed plant you give them. At least, that was my experience. Before I knew that, I added it in hopes that it would multiply and help cover the surface, but they ate it all. :)
Ah, perhaps I'll grow some out in an aquarium and do a transfer in hopes of a decent batch thriving.
Thanks for the info!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ah, perhaps I'll grow some out in an aquarium and do a transfer in hopes of a decent batch thriving.
Thanks for the info!
I live on the Mississippi River. In mid to late summer we have duckweed by the ton growing wild. The goldfish love it, but the wild stuff might have unwanted critters in it. I found two adult size zebra mussels and a host of snails. I killed the zebra mussels, but the fish ate the snails along with the duckweed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
i added a bucket and they ate it within a day lol
perhaps it needs very rich and stagnant still water to thrive as i have seen it in swamps and rich water , rotten swamps , it may not grow in our fast moving and filtered ponds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
i added a bucket and they ate it within a day lol
perhaps it needs very rich and stagnant still water to thrive as i have seen it in swamps and rich water , rotten swamps , it may not grow in our fast moving and filtered ponds
I have been reading about oxygenators. I don't have to worry about runoff contaminating a marsh or anything of that sort, so I am going to get some foxtail from the river backwaters. I think I have about 1/2" of gook on the bottom to root into. I'll tie bunches together with mono and a lead sinker. I have ledges about 14", 30" and 48" total depth. Perhaps I should start with bunches laying on the 30' ledge? I can also get gobs of duckweed that the goldfish seem to love to eat. Should I worry about putting the foxtail in dirt?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I have been reading about oxygenators. I don't have to worry about runoff contaminating a marsh or anything of that sort, so I am going to get some foxtail from the river backwaters. I think I have about 1/2" of gook on the bottom to root into. I'll tie bunches together with mono and a lead sinker. I have ledges about 14", 30" and 48" total depth. Perhaps I should start with bunches laying on the 30' ledge? I can also get gobs of duckweed that the goldfish seem to love to eat. Should I worry about putting the foxtail in dirt?
use some rocks gravel to cover there roots , dont think dirct is necessary but if it fails then u can have them in pot .

Ask a Question