Duckweed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Ive tried several chemical solutions to get rid of duckweed with no success. Koi goldfish dont seem to mind it but it continues to spread across surface. Any ideas how best to get rid?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
you need more fish! Yay, I get to use one of @addy1 's acronyms (MFS) for the good! I say this because I can't KEEP duckweed in my pond--the fish just suction it down! Seriously, I have to grow it separately and it's now a fish 'treat'. So, yeah, I'm giving you license to now get more fish; you can tell any significant other that! :cool:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mg fish are still to surface this year. Are you saying when they do that they will eat the duckweed. I havent noticed that in previous years

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
tell you what; stop feeding the fish and see what happens! But yeah, if you actually have an abundance of duckweed, try feeding every other day and less until the duckweed is all gone.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you. The weather has been sunny past week but still no sign of Fish. Is this normal. Im pretty sure they have been active earlier in previous years

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you. The weather has been sunny past week but still no sign of Fish. Is this normal. Im pretty sure they have been active earlier in previous years
I've noticed via my underwater cam that at 50 deg F is when the fish really start moving around. Check your water temps.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Also, are you sure it’s duckweed? I’m one of those people who can’t keep it, because my goldfish gobble it down immediately!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes. Ive attached pic. What do you think

Attachments

• 049AFC58-36A4-4CEB-8667-9BBFA7707ACB.jpeg
    049AFC58-36A4-4CEB-8667-9BBFA7707ACB.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 86
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I wish I could keep duckweed. My fish devour it!
I keep it in a floating net. When the nets fills up, I'll release some for them to eat. If I didn't keep it in the net, it would gone in the blink of an eye.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mine gobble it up too fast! I have to keep it in a small separate pond and dole it out to them now and then!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Canada
Does anyone collect duckweed from wild ponds or lakes? What are the risks and can they be mitigated. Note I only have (rescue ;) ) feeder comet goldfish.

Ask a Question