Dug not even 2' and hit Mud?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Howdy, I have been re-building my 250 gallon pond to around 400 gallons and when i hit about 19'' deep i started to hit water (Mud). Now the water table here in PC, FL is pretty high right now as we have had allot of rain lately, but I am also about 1/2 mile from the Bay so my question is: Will this be a problem later on having my liner on top of that? If the water table gets higher and even if my pond is full, will it push my liner up from under? Thanks!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
It can! Is it possible to lay a drainage hose to a lower point in the yard? That way, excess water can drain away rather than lifting your liner.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hmmm, My Fence behind the pond is nothing but woods and swamp for miles, but it does sit about 2 feet lower than my Pond so i might be able to do something! PVC? How do I run it without getting mud clogging the pipe all the time? Thanks again! :goldfish:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Can you build the sides up to get the pond depth your after ?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep above ground would be good and this way you have a place to sit and enjoy the pond .I am not sure how well your soil drains .Retaining wall block may not be cheap but wood could work as a last resort .You will need some power tools though

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
gardengimp said:
What kind of soil do you have Jason? Sand, loam, muck or clay?
Definitely Muck where i stop digging.

I could try to build my walls up on the side with the extra dirt i have!

Reaction score
I'd go above ground level with a course or two of concrete blocks, then line the hole and the above ground portion. The blocks make a nice place to sit beside the pond. beside the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thats a good idea, of course it's raining as i type this and i will have to rethink this now this weekend! thanks

Ask a Question