dumb a$$ fish

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well my koi have decided that they want more sun light i guess. i have pulled out 3 dozen lilly pads over the last couple days. nice green healthy ones that appear to have been removed at the rhyzone. i can see 3 bare rhyzones. and about 8 to 10 more free floating pads and stems.. at this rate they will be in full open water by next weekend. their shade and protective cover is probably being minimized as i type this. i pulled out a dozen or so this morning. dumb a$$ fish!!!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well my koi have decided that they want more sun light i guess. i have pulled out 3 dozen lilly pads over the last couple days. nice green healthy ones that appear to have been removed at the rhyzone. i can see 3 bare rhyzones. and about 8 to 10 more free floating pads and stems.. at this rate they will be in full open water by next weekend. their shade and protective cover is probably being minimized as i type this. i pulled out a dozen or so this morning. dumb a$$ fish!!!

Reaction score
Koiguy, I had the same problem so I ended up buying the 2 x 2 non-toxic waterproof play mats sold at Lowe's. Ya they look ridiculous different colors and all but the koi love em.
They make a great temporary fix.

Reaction score
Koiguy, I had the same problem so I ended up buying the 2 x 2 non-toxic waterproof play mats sold at Lowe's. Ya they look ridiculous different colors and all but the koi love em.
They make a great temporary fix.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
28 pads this morning, 28 pads i removed from the pond this morning. this behavior is out of nowhere. they have never exhibited this behavior before. probably about 1/2 the pads are gone now...4 or 5 'totally' empty rhyzones that i can readilly see...

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I can't grow water lettuce in my lower pond where the adult koi are because they eat the roots. So I have to grow them in the upper pond where the 2 years olds leave them alone. So several times a week, I toss in a few and that gives them shade untill they start to get brown from the roots being eaten away.
It is hard to figure what motivates them to do this.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
my floaters are always fine in the protective rings i made. its my lillies and i just cant understand why this happenenig all the sudden...never had any lillies pulled off til now!! some pad nilbbling but this is like intentional koi vandalism. i see some small new growth on one rhyzone

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They just love to annoy you koiguy, and the free snack you are giving them

Reaction score
I've been having the same problem koiguy. Last year no problem. This year no problem until about a month ago. Now the lillies are almost gone.
I found them turning yellow, then brown and looking like they've been nibbled on the edges. Then a bunch of floating stems, now they're almost gone.
What to do???

Ask a Question