Dump valve/flush valve question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thanks to all of the help from this forum, we rebuilt our pond last year. Everything appears to working fine except the dump valve/flush valve. We have 2 55 gallon barrels as filters and my husband put a small spigot in the bottom of each barrel to drain the muck from the bottom of the filter. Needless to say, this is not working. I drained the barrels today because they were so full of gunk that it was flowing into the pond through the waterfall. Can someone please explain to me how to install a dump valve or something to drain the bottom of my barrels. The barrels are above ground and I would like to do it in place because they are plumber and glued. I've read several DIY on 55 gallon barrels and can't find exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
2" shower drains are what most people use. Check the diy section on filters to see the setups. I just started a 3 barrel system.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thanks for the reply. I've been reading drains, valves etc. all morning in the DIY section. I am looking for specific instructions on how to intall them. Lots of posts mention them, but no in depth instructions. I will probably be doing this myself and need really exact instructions, lol.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Unless you have extra long arms it would be easier to cut the barrel loose
Than you can put the lines back together with NoHub or Fernco cpls

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, DrCase. I wa just thinking about that. I need to raise the swirler in one of the barrels and change the grate in both of them any way. What are NoHub/Ferno cpls? I've discovered over the past year that you really never finish tweaking things with your pond.

Ask a Question