dwarf cattail - dead?

Reaction score
hello all,

I purchased a dawrf cattail online. i put it a couple of inces deep and noticed it wasnt doing well. So with peoples advice i moved it closer to the surface... now all the stalks are brown and sitting in the water.

is this plant dead? should i try cutting back the brown and waiting to see what happens next year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
sounds dead to me. I have kill three of them. It seems they just dont do well in my pond. If you really want to check it pull the tuber and see if its still firm. If its soft and mushy its dead

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Bring it up to where the crown of the plant is slightly out of the water. I've killed every one of them that I tried putting underwater. They are just really picky about their conditions. However don't give up on it right away... Give it a chance and it might still come back?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a plant bundle of dwarf cattails I don't need. If you pay postage I will get it shipped off to you. Think we could do it in a small box, 5 -10 bucks. Depends on the weight. It is about 15 stems maybe more maybe less. I would need to go out and count...........

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is what is looks like, in a tiny plastic pot with holes. I had it on a pond island until the heron used the island to try and eat sushi. Island removed as soon as I saw the bird land.
It has been just sitting in the stream until I decided what to do with it. Shallow water. I could remove it from the pot or just ship as is, would cost a little more, the pot has some kitty litter in it.

Been totally neglected, even survived the winter in that pot in shallow water. Never did trim it in the spring. I will go into the bog and see if I can get some other cat tails for you. It is a tiny bit over grown right now lol

DSC06207.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
pm me your address, I will see what the cost is.

Ask a Question