Dwarf Lotus set up?

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I am thinking about trying a dwarf lotus next year and wanted to see if my care protocol was correct. I was going to get a 10 gallon resin pot (most likely about 20 inches in diameter at its widest point), fill it with 5 gallons of heavy loam soil (about 50:50 top soil and clay cat litter), introduce the lotus in mid May, and then cover it with about 2 inches of water. I would start fertilizing it after the first aerial leaves came up and continue doing so until September; in October I would stop fertilizing and - after frost kills the foliage - remove the tuber and refrigerate it until the growing season resumes. Does this sound correct? Thanks :)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would not risk removing the tuber. I would just move the pot to an area where it won't freeze solid. With a small container, keeping the plant covered with water can be an issue. I have one in a pot similar to what you are planning as well as a 75 gallon preform and with the hot weather we have had, it has been an issue to keep them from drying out.

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Uh oh...I don't have any good spots to do that. Oh well...good to know now before I spend the money to get one. Thanks :)

Ask a Question