Earth pond newbie in Illinois with just under a quarter acre.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here’s what it looks like now
B981BBB0-B106-4F03-AEAB-835E7F730E42.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ducdoc - Ha! I literally had to do a double take. I didn't even realize there WAS a pond in the first image. That's impressive. Is it a standing pond or is it fed with an inlet/outlet?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have not heard from you since your late night

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Ducdoc - Ha. I literally did a double take to see that there was a pond in that first image. Very nice work! I thought my algae skum was going to be a pain to deal with.

@GBBUDD - I'm… Still… Trying… To… Finish… Them… All… heheh. Seriously though, lots of great info. The issue with a lot of these videos is that I don't have $400,000 hiding under the pond to dig up (at least I don't think!). A lot of the more elaborate hardscaping may need to go on the backburner until I've gotten my arms around this thing. Right now I'm going to do my best to clean, maintain, and plant up the pond so she sits as proudly on my property as possible!

…ryan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ducdoc - Ha! I literally had to do a double take. I didn't even realize there WAS a pond in the first image. That's impressive. Is it a standing pond or is it fed with an inlet/outlet?
There’s a nearby creek that feeds it and drains it back at the end. Can’t wait to put an aerator this spring.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Ducdoc - Ha. I literally did a double take to see that there was a pond in that first image. Very nice work! I thought my algae skum was going to be a pain to deal with.

@GBBUDD - I'm… Still… Trying… To… Finish… Them… All… heheh. Seriously though, lots of great info. The issue with a lot of these videos is that I don't have $400,000 hiding under the pond to dig up (at least I don't think!). A lot of the more elaborate hardscaping may need to go on the backburner until I've gotten my arms around this thing. Right now I'm going to do my best to clean, maintain, and plant up the pond so she sits as proudly on my property as possible!

…ryan
I WOULD AVOID ALL INVASIVE SPECIES REGARDLESS ON HOW NICE OR PRETTY THEY APPEAR. GO FOR THE LONG TERM PLAN

OH I am aware it must be nice to have that kinda money and while I never expect anyone to replicate these crazy projects they show what can be done and many how they are done. Most are just hey I love that part of that project how did they do that or I can take that piece and make it fit my property,

Reaction score
Country
United States
@GBBUDD - I totally agree about just finding moments of inspiration, definitely helps when planning things out. I'll try and be as DIY as I can be, but you know how it goes, time + scope - day job = not enough hours. I've also been mindful on invasive thugs in the garden. Most of my planting will be shoreline or marginal. Not ready to drop stuff into the water yet beyond the irises the previous owner left that seem to be behaving so far.

…ryan

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
careful of the yellow iris it can grow very fast and be very invasive the others types of iris not so much

Reaction score
Country
United States
careful of the yellow iris it can grow very fast and be very invasive the others types of iris not so much

To be honest, I don't even know if it's yellow flag yet or not. I moved in late last Fall. Stay tuned!

…ryan

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
if I remember correctly you had clarity issues but with a infeed and an out it maybe a futile battle to fight that but it you only get overflow to and from your pond theres a good chance a bog will keep you pond clear until it rains and water comes from above. with the right design. My pond I can completely disturb and not see 6" into the pond but by the next morning it's crystal clear again

Reaction score
Country
United States
if I remember correctly you had clarity issues but with a infeed and an out it maybe a futile battle to fight that but it you only get overflow to and from your pond theres a good chance a bog will keep you pond clear until it rains and water comes from above. with the right design. My pond I can completely disturb and not see 6" into the pond but by the next morning it's crystal clear again

You know, last Fall it was a little hard to tell what was going on with the turbidity, but since the winter thaw I will say that the pond has been absolutely clear. I also discovered small green sunfish when I skimmed some of the algae/vegetation from one of the bays.

I do plan to put in the fountain aeriation the previous owner left me (which she had not been putting in the past couple years due to her older age and mixed health). Hoping this will keep the pond happy and more clear/clean through the coming warm season!

…ryan

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
AERATION HELPS TO KEEP algae an noxious weeds down . It appears the fountain may help control the duckweed but of that I am unsure. But a negative edge close to the overflow stream would certainly help but trying to move all that water can be a task and expensive in power. I do know my koi love duck weed. but with a outflow you'd have to make sure they can't get out for your selves and for the environmentalist they can get a bit touchy about non native species in the water ways

Ask a Question