Earthworms in new pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks

Sorry if this has been posted before - i did a search and couldnt find anything similiar.

Never had a garden pond before, but in october we dug one and used a preshaped pond liner to create a tiny pond in our tiny garden - the pond is about 3 feet long, 2 feet across and about 2 feet deep - so really not very large.

We werent expecting any life because of the time of the year, but we've seen a lot of earthworms on the bottom of the pond recently - the water is still clear, and somehow the earthworms are still alive when i've managed to get them out. There are no plants or anything else in the pond right now.

Is this normal? Should i leave the earthworms in? I would assume not...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1578610086201.gif
@radioactivenerd
If you don't rescue them outta there they will eventually drown. They fall in and can't get out. If you had some goldfish in there they would eat them up and say thank you very much :smuggrin:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thanks for the advice and the welcome! Too small for fish i think and i dont have a pump either, so im hoping for some amphibians / dragonflies at best. Will scoop out the earthworms - thank you!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If you don't rescue them outta there they will eventually drown. They fall in and can't get out. If you had some goldfish in there they would eat them up and say thank you very much :smuggrin:

My fish always fight over them. The worms are so long they hang out of their mouth, then another fish sees it and rips it out. :LOL:

Reaction score
Country
United States
check the pump supply, it is possible that the ground is receiving a electric shock . im hoping you used a ground fault supply at the electric source so no one gets shocked. ele in the ground will force worms up . welcome to the forum. hope this helps mike

Ask a Question