Easiest To Operate Pond Pump For 350 gal Preformed Liner

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I put this pond in about 12 years ago. Got a preformed hard plastic pond liner at Home Depot, dug down a little, and got these brick things to go around it. Got the pump there too, and a few goldfish.

This is a serious hobby for many and I admire those who are that enthusiastic about it. We are not. We like our pond but cheap feeder goldfish make us just as happy as expensive koi. A more decorative exterior would be nice, but it's fine as it is. Our dog died a couple years ago and it wasn't a month after that other animals came in and ate the fish. We have coyotes, foxes, raccoons, possums, skunks, feral and domestic cats, etc. in this area.

The crappy Home Depot pump is a real pain to clean, and we kinda gave up without the fish anymore. The pump stopped and the pond fell to neglect over the winter.

We are about to get a new dog, and want to get the pond going again or take it out. The tipping point is the pump. If we can find a pump that is easier and not as messy to clean, we'll keep it. If not, we are going to get rid of it.

The one we have been using is like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Beckett-...PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-202278958-_-100051827-_-N

with some little pump in it. Whatever they said was the right one for our size pond.

So our criteria are:
1. Easy
2. Quiet

We have electricity at the pump spot, so that is not a problem. We can't use one of those skimmer type because we have a hard liner and don't want to make it hard by cutting that and putting in a flexible liner, etc. Cost and power usage are not major considerations. If it's $300 but it makes us able to enjoy our pond again without having to mess with it a lot (remember we have had a pond for years, and realize water changes, etc are part of the deal) then that's OK.

Any advice?

0502151027.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Any pump will require cleaning. How often depends on many factors: number of fish, level of feeding, plants, windborne debris, leaf drop, etc. Design of the pump (or filter) has little impact on frequency of cleaning. Size will, but a larger pump (or filter) may pose other problems in a small pre-formed pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Meyer Jordan. I understand that. Just looking for something easy to clean. Are there any filters that are outside the pond and are closed, that might work?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Unless a solids-handling pump is used a pre-filter of some configuration must be used to protect the pump from damage. Unfortunately, solids-handling pumps are not made rated at less than 1000 gph, which would be too large for a 350 gallon pre-formed pond. It would pose a danger to the fish. External mechanical filtration for this size pond is really not feasible.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
I've found several pumps and an out of pond filter that may be a good match for your 350 gallon pond. I highly recommend Doctors Foster & Smith Company. They have wide selection of pond products. They have never let me down.

Several different pumps available.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5164+25954&pcatid=25954&r=1208

and

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5164+23512&pcatid=23512

Out of pond filter.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5186+5226+24722&pcatid=24722

Excellent customer service. You could contact them for additional advice. Hope this information helps.

Louis

Ask a Question