Eastern Mud Turtles?

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with eastern mud turtles? I picked up a little male that was crossing the road today and turned him loose in my pond. I don't suspect he'll be a long term resident but from what I could find about their diet, the little fella shouldn't pose much of a threat to the fish.

Reaction score
I have a 6" red slider turtle in my pond. He doesn't bother the fish at all. He comes close to me now when I feed the Koi and eats their food too. He was a pet but outgrew his indoor tank. I'm not sure about the type of turtle you have, though...

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Post a pic if possible, If it's what i think it is they primarily eat snails but will gladly feeed on some koi pellets as well. here they are called Musk turtles and if they are one in the same, You should have to much problem with it bothering your fish as long as it gets some pellets and snails. However they will eat some water lilys.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If you look at the turtle's underside (plastron), it's easy to tell the difference between a mud and a musk turtle. The plastron of the mud turtle has two flexible hinges, whereas the musk turtle has only one. John

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Here is a picture of the type turtle we have that keeps showing up. reading the description of the eastern Mud turtle and seeing it almost describes the guy we have to a T but if you look at the facial markings there is some differences. The turtle we have that keeps showing up does have the yellow stripes on it's face. I've never compared the two like HARO posted so not real sure what I would be looking at. I always thought they were one and the same but I'm open to learn that they aren't. I still don't think they are a great threat to the pind but at the same time, I also think ANY aquatic turtle can cause some damage to weak, or slow moving fish, Turtles are turtles and they will eat what they can find and catch. Musk turtles, and by the desciption posted Mud turtles as well aren't great swimmers, so they will wait for food to come to them. a slow moving or ill fish could become dinner. That's just part of nature.

Attachments

• Common%20Musk%20Turtle.jpg
    Common%20Musk%20Turtle.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 297
Reaction score
The peterson's field guide is great for identification but it does help to have the critter in hand when figuring out the species and sex. The markings on the plastron were what nailed it for me and the tail description made sexing it easy. Tough things to do from a photograph sometimes.

Ask a Question