Eastern Painted Turtle and Koi

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My parents found another turtle in their yard, which didn't get along with my Son's current turtle. Would a wild painted turtle get along with my koi? My koi would not be considered eating size to this turtle.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
My parents found another turtle in their yard, which didn't get along with my Son's current turtle. Would a wild painted turtle get along with my koi? My koi would not be considered eating size to this turtle.
It's not so much about size as it is ambush opportunity. If the fish have room to get away and the turtle gets fed you will be okay. If the space is small the turtle will indeed take a snap at even a fish 2 and 3 times its size if it is hungry and sees a chance to corner it in.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We have 20+ inch trout in our pond swimming with small and large comets and koi with no major issues. As long as everyone is fed and has ample space they coexist well. I'm not a turtle expert like Marshall, but as long as the turtle doesn't get nippy I think it would be a cool addition to your pond.

Ask a Question