Easyclear 6000 Pond Pump

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've just built my first pond and i've bought and installed an Easyclear 6000 Pond Pump from Hozelock.

I don't want the waterfall or fountain going as it's too close to the house and would keep us awake. At the moment it's just rippling the water gently at the top (see photo below).

Is this good enough for aeration or do I need to have the water actively running in and out of the pond?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• Fish.JPG
    Fish.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 454

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice looking pond, I have read that as long as the water is moving and rippling the surface o2 is being exchanged. You could put in a air stone to help out also. What kind of filtration do you have going? To keep the water nice and fresh for you fish.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you need to break the surface tension of the water if you want to get any real aeration, (your basically just circulating the water).even if you extend the output pipe so the water shoots 6" or so up you'll get some aeration....the further the water falls to return to the pond the better it will aerate. but an air pump and stone will aerate and cost alot less to run than that water pump. if thats all your looking to do.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. The pump has a 9w UVC lamp and sponge filters built in to it. I'm going to look for an air stone I can attach to the waterfall outlet, would that work?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put my air line just inside the area of the pump connecting it so it does not get sucked into the pump ,but enough that it sucks the air into the pump .I agree with koiguy you need to extend that to break the surface of the water ,that is meant to be a fountain head and if you get the bell shaped fountain head it does not make a lot of noise but is very pretty to see .It comes out in a full circle around the center of the pipe ,just like a bell

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
someone in another post spoke of white noise...i agree, the sound of the water splashing back into the pond is quite relaxing. the foam filter on your pump is not for actual water qualty. its there merely to protect your pump from debris... once you have fish in the pond you'll find the foam will clog quickly and be more of a pain than a gain. pull the foam from its housing and build a biofilter (external..out of pond) for the sake of any fish's health you might put in the pond! check the DIY section and you'll find several designs...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are 3 fish in the pond, so will need to get some filtration going.

Reaction score
Sorry Koiguy, I wasn't very clear, the biomedia is underneath the foam filters. I've now raised the pump slightly so the surface of the water is breaking.

Is there a kit to check O2 levels?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
IF YOUR FISH ARE COMFORTABLE HANGING AROUND AT THE PONDS BOTTOM, ITS A REASONABLE ASSUMPTION THAT O2 LEVELS ARE ADEQUATE....
that said i wouldnt rely on that filter on its own...unless you dont plan on more fish.

Ask a Question