Eclipse today

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Anyone have any good pics or stories about the eclipse that swept through the US today? My fish were exceptionally still at the height of the eclipse. We were only at 85% but I think they knew something was going on.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
We only had a partial here in south Florida. But the sky and the weather were very odd looking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
IMG_6875.JPG
IMG_6879.JPG
IMG_6884.JPG
IMG_6888.JPG
IMG_6889.JPG
IMG_6890.JPG
IMG_6892.JPG
We drove to Eddyville KY yesterday and was in the center of it..... 2 minutes 39 seconds of totality, pretty awesome...... IPhone is not very good for taking pictures

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
We had 78% coverage here.
Although the sun was too bright to look at, the solar radiation sensor value steadily dropped while the sun was directly overhead. We knew when the minimum radiation was reached once the values started climbing again.
Pretty neat.

Eclipse  during weather station.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We were in danger of missing the entire thing thanks to the weather. In the end, I got to see most of it, as the cloud cover stayed fairly thin. I created a homemade filter, which I would never recommend doing, but it worked perfectly, both for my eyes and for my camera. kept the sun nice and dark. I really wanted to figure out a way to photograph the eclipse so I put together quite a few layers of blank film negatives, until the sun was so dark it was hardly visible. I removed layers and added layers based on the cloud thickness.

IMG_6080 copy.jpg

IMG_6096 copy.jpg

At one point, the clouds were thick enough that no filter was needed, and it was actually visible with the naked eye, which never would've been possible without the clouds.
IMG_6071 copy.jpg

During peak, the clouds were thicker than I would've liked, but it was still visible, although blurry.
IMG_6016 copy1.jpg

As I said on another post, it was an experience I'll never forget. I imagine those in the 100% range really got to see a unique show, but it was pretty great here in the 85% range, too. I always enjoy things like the solar/lunar eclipses, meteor showers, and things that show us just how tiny we really are. Such a big existence out there that we know almost nothing about, and an even bigger existence that we know absolutely nothing about. We're just on this tiny sphere in the middle of nowhere.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for posting the pics folks, always a fascinating experience to see eclipses and shooting stars like mentioned above. Had my eldest grandson staying with me last week, we sat outside watching the recent Persaid meteor shower, and he was fascinated by it, we saw seven meteors in just over half an hour. Last solar eclipse I was up at silly o'clock clad in my dressing gown, wearing my dh's welding mask taking pics like a nutter...I looked a bit like Darth Vader in Mrs Vader's nightie! Good job the neighbours didn't bother to check the early morning sky out...I got some cracking pics.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I was on Siler Bald, a giant cleared mountaintop on the Appalachian Trail just below the GSMNP in North Carolina (in the Smokies). I camped there Sunday night along with about 100 other people who had the same idea, and probably another 300-500 more who came in over the course of the morning to watch. It was the most amazing thing I ever saw and experienced. It was really beyond words, between the event, the setting--it was fantastically beautiful, even without the eclipse--and the overwhelming sense of awe that was shared as a communal experience by so many people, together. Just super special, in a very deep and powerful way. Going was one of the best decisions I ever made, even despite the all night drive home that followed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
@ Spartamets....Amazing how these natural phenomena have such a powerful effect on us isn't it? Had a similar experience with my late d/h at Ayers Rock, I found it so awesome, not to mention beautiful, and very emotional. Many adjectives spring to mind to describe it and the eclipses, they are something truly special I think. A recent trip to a vast Icelandic glacier made me tearful, but maybe I was just wishing he was with me to experience the sight :-(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@ Spartamets....Amazing how these natural phenomena have such a powerful effect on us isn't it? Had a similar experience with my late d/h at Ayers Rock, I found it so awesome, not to mention beautiful, and very emotional. Many adjectives spring to mind to describe it and the eclipses, they are something truly special I think. A recent trip to a vast Icelandic glacier made me tearful, but maybe I was just wishing he was with me to experience the sight :-(
Nature can make one feel that way, which might be part of the appeal of creating little ecosystems in our yards. But things like the eclipse and Icelandic glaciers really generate a powerful sense of awe that I think is important for people to experience periodically. It's soul cleansing. I'm sure your late husband was with you.

IMG_1026.JPG
IMG_0966.JPG
IMG_0982.JPG
IMG_1028.JPG
I've posted a few pictures of the place where I was; the dark pictures were taken during totality; the first and last pictures were taken maybe 45 minutes apart of the exact same view. My phone's camera couldn't handle the eclipse itself.

Ask a Question