Eclipse today

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CometKeith, Aug 22, 2017.

1. CometKeith

CometKeith

Anyone have any good pics or stories about the eclipse that swept through the US today? My fish were exceptionally still at the height of the eclipse. We were only at 85% but I think they knew something was going on.

CometKeith, Aug 22, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. CometKeith

ZEROPILOT Faster than you are.

We only had a partial here in south Florida. But the sky and the weather were very odd looking.

ZEROPILOT, Aug 22, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. CometKeith

Jimmy Gibson

IMG_6875.JPG IMG_6879.JPG IMG_6884.JPG IMG_6888.JPG IMG_6889.JPG IMG_6890.JPG IMG_6892.JPG We drove to Eddyville KY yesterday and was in the center of it..... 2 minutes 39 seconds of totality, pretty awesome...... IPhone is not very good for taking pictures

Jimmy Gibson, Aug 22, 2017
    j.w, CometKeith and Tula like this.
  4. CometKeith

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

We were in the 80% range, I had ordered some glasses never came, cancelled order.

This is a picture via a reflection in our truck window. The clouds really helped seeing it. IMG_1805.JPG

addy1, Aug 22, 2017
  5. CometKeith

Angel

6. CometKeith

qclabrat

one of my friends in NJ, caught this under a cherry tree, pretty incredible

cherry eclipse.jpeg

qclabrat, Aug 22, 2017
  7. CometKeith

MitchM

We had 78% coverage here.
    Although the sun was too bright to look at, the solar radiation sensor value steadily dropped while the sun was directly overhead. We knew when the minimum radiation was reached once the values started climbing again.
    Pretty neat.

Eclipse  during weather station.jpg

MitchM, Aug 22, 2017
    CometKeith, Jimmy Gibson and qclabrat like this.
  8. CometKeith

JBtheExplorer Native Gardener

We were in danger of missing the entire thing thanks to the weather. In the end, I got to see most of it, as the cloud cover stayed fairly thin. I created a homemade filter, which I would never recommend doing, but it worked perfectly, both for my eyes and for my camera. kept the sun nice and dark. I really wanted to figure out a way to photograph the eclipse so I put together quite a few layers of blank film negatives, until the sun was so dark it was hardly visible. I removed layers and added layers based on the cloud thickness.

IMG_6080 copy.jpg

IMG_6096 copy.jpg

At one point, the clouds were thick enough that no filter was needed, and it was actually visible with the naked eye, which never would've been possible without the clouds.
    IMG_6071 copy.jpg

During peak, the clouds were thicker than I would've liked, but it was still visible, although blurry.
    IMG_6016 copy1.jpg

As I said on another post, it was an experience I'll never forget. I imagine those in the 100% range really got to see a unique show, but it was pretty great here in the 85% range, too. I always enjoy things like the solar/lunar eclipses, meteor showers, and things that show us just how tiny we really are. Such a big existence out there that we know almost nothing about, and an even bigger existence that we know absolutely nothing about. We're just on this tiny sphere in the middle of nowhere.

JBtheExplorer, Aug 22, 2017
    teeemkay, Spartamets and sissy like this.
  9. CometKeith

Oh, I took some video, too.

JBtheExplorer, Aug 22, 2017
  10. CometKeith

moby

Thanks for posting the pics folks, always a fascinating experience to see eclipses and shooting stars like mentioned above. Had my eldest grandson staying with me last week, we sat outside watching the recent Persaid meteor shower, and he was fascinated by it, we saw seven meteors in just over half an hour. Last solar eclipse I was up at silly o'clock clad in my dressing gown, wearing my dh's welding mask taking pics like a nutter...I looked a bit like Darth Vader in Mrs Vader's nightie! Good job the neighbours didn't bother to check the early morning sky out...I got some cracking pics.

moby, Aug 22, 2017
    Spartamets, CometKeith and addy1 like this.
  11. CometKeith

Spartamets

I was on Siler Bald, a giant cleared mountaintop on the Appalachian Trail just below the GSMNP in North Carolina (in the Smokies). I camped there Sunday night along with about 100 other people who had the same idea, and probably another 300-500 more who came in over the course of the morning to watch. It was the most amazing thing I ever saw and experienced. It was really beyond words, between the event, the setting--it was fantastically beautiful, even without the eclipse--and the overwhelming sense of awe that was shared as a communal experience by so many people, together. Just super special, in a very deep and powerful way. Going was one of the best decisions I ever made, even despite the all night drive home that followed.

Spartamets, Aug 23, 2017
    addy1, moby and CometKeith like this.
  12. CometKeith

moby

@ Spartamets....Amazing how these natural phenomena have such a powerful effect on us isn't it? Had a similar experience with my late d/h at Ayers Rock, I found it so awesome, not to mention beautiful, and very emotional. Many adjectives spring to mind to describe it and the eclipses, they are something truly special I think. A recent trip to a vast Icelandic glacier made me tearful, but maybe I was just wishing he was with me to experience the sight :-(

moby, Aug 23, 2017
    Spartamets and Jimmy Gibson like this.
  13. CometKeith

Burd Pond Scum

IMG_8394.PNG It's all a huge lie. This is what really happens.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    Burd, Aug 23, 2017
    addy1 and Spartamets like this.
  14. CometKeith

Spartamets

Nature can make one feel that way, which might be part of the appeal of creating little ecosystems in our yards. But things like the eclipse and Icelandic glaciers really generate a powerful sense of awe that I think is important for people to experience periodically. It's soul cleansing. I'm sure your late husband was with you.

IMG_1026.JPG IMG_0966.JPG IMG_0982.JPG IMG_1028.JPG I've posted a few pictures of the place where I was; the dark pictures were taken during totality; the first and last pictures were taken maybe 45 minutes apart of the exact same view. My phone's camera couldn't handle the eclipse itself.

Spartamets, Aug 24, 2017
    addy1 likes this.
  15. CometKeith

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Great pictures

addy1, Aug 24, 2017
  16. CometKeith

Lisak1

I can only imagine the fear the ancient people must have felt when an eclipse happened. For us, it becomes an anticipated media event - for them, it came seemingly out of nowhere and they had no idea if it would end or happen again... quite frightening I'm sure!

I find these things to be interesting, but not with the kind of spiritual fervor I saw some relating on the coverage we watched. I mean, the planets, the moons, the stars, the universe - it all moves and stays in motion every single minute of every single day and we don't seem to notice. To me, that's awe inspiring. But let someone pass in front of someone else for a brief few minutes and we all go goofy. Now the fact that we are able to calculate to the exact second when these events will happen many years in advance - I'm impressed by that!

Lisak1, Aug 26, 2017
  17. CometKeith

What amazes me is how insanely huge the universe is. So large that we aren't even sure if it ends or how it ends. Is it foreverness? If it does end, what causes it to end? Does that mean there's something else beyond that? If so, does that end, or does existence just stretch into eternity? It would be hard to imagine something that goes forever, but hard to imagine that it somehow ends with nothing beyond it. Then you have to think about how many other versions of living things are out there and if they are as intelligent as we are, or if intelligence even applies that that form of life. Or if that form of life even coincides with what we consider life to be.

JBtheExplorer, Aug 27, 2017
    Lisak1 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question