Edging a pond?

Reaction score
Im now building a new pond which will be 12.5m x 9m x 1m.

in stead of extending the existing one thanks for advise on other forum.

I would like to run the lawn right up to the edge of the pond to blend its edges into the lawn does any one know how to achieve this edgeing?

I will also have some areas planted up at the edge which suppose will use the same method? and of course the various shelve within the pond.

Help greatly appreciated.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If you do a concrete pond, this is simple. With liners, you need to have at least a foot of overhang with rocks or something to hold it down. Decortive brick could be used to rim it, but I'm not sure how to make that look natural. When you mow, the grass cuttings and dust are going to get into it.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you could stake 6"or more out around the perimeter of the pond and use bender board screwed to it (nice and level of coarse) like you'd do to form rounded concrete pour edges. then backfill to the outer edge with dirt then seed or lay sod. you would want to do this after the pond is full and trim the liner so it just covers the bender board fully cover the pond side with stone or gravel and the ouside with the seed or sod naturally.if you spread the fill dirt(top soil) out far enough you wont even notice the taper. but like dr.dave said cutting the lawn could be a pain in the pond.
p.s be real carefull with fertilizers and other lawn treatments

lindsayanng

Umm yea... confused
Reaction score
You can make some really natural edges using larger plants or shrubs instead of grass. I have a feeling grass is going to be a HUGE HUGE HUGE pain!

When i built my pond I was overly concerned about making it look natural. I didn't want the "pear necklace of rocks" around the outside.. So this is what I did

I used did put rocks all around the outside to hold down and cover the liner.. then i filled inbetween them with some pea gravel.. Then, I planted HOSTAS.. these are AWESOME for creating a natural look because they grow short but wide and will actually reach over toward the pond if they are planted close enough..

Then I went on a search for good "rock garden" plants.. Those are plants that you can plant in dirt but will creep over rocks.. I planted those and then just have to wait for them to start growing over the rocks.. You can get some more fun shrubs and plants that will come back every year that will line the edges of your pond

I will send you pictures as soon as I get them..

Ask a Question