Edging + Bog help

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Really struggling thinking on how we going to edge the bog atm. It has a straight down 14" wall two sides of the 'triangle' shape we created for the bog. Will plan have 12" or touch less of pea gravel in it. It has less than a foot space both sides due to edging of our lawn and stone path.

1. Could 8" or so rocks be put on the inside of the bog forming the edge? Will that be too much weight on the pea gravel and might sink?

2.And we have slate in different sizes of the one pictured and planning on making that into the wall to separate the bog from the pond and hope to have the water overflow onto the pond. Is it bad if the water might be higher than the pea gravel then over flow? Or should we just make it flow through the gaps of the slate?

Attachments

• 20210205_172501.jpg
    20210205_172501.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 20210206_125152.jpg
    20210206_125152.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 91
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Make it a two step edge - one edge that will be slightly below the level of the gravel to hold the edging rocks and then the real edge. Then fold the liner behind the rocks and backfill just like you would the pond edge. Does that make sense? It will look like the rocks are in the bog rather than outside of the bog. Vary the sizes of your rocks so you don't get that "ring of pearls" look. Plants in the bog will eventually cover most of the edging, so don't worry too much about how it looks initially.

You can set boulders into the gravel if you want - if they start to sink, you just dig them back out!

Reaction score
Country
Australia
thank you for the warm welcome :)
So today we built the wall from slate slabs ( the top 3 pieces are yet to be set in place as I want to see the water levels first) and foamed in the gaps on the inside of the bog where the pea gravel will cover it. Should I cut excess off or can I just leave it?

Attachments

• 20210209_200709.jpg
    20210209_200709.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 74
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
View attachment 136396@Spydon
The step idea works great and hides the top edge of liner down into the water a ways. I have that in my pond.

View attachment 136397
JW~ Look at those long trailing iris roots! I have them in my pond, too and the fish love to hide in them. I feel like they really do a lot to keep the water healthy. When I do my backyard pond, I will be dividing some and transferring them back there. I am not looking forward to the work of dividing. I think it is going to be tricky and messy!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
JW~ Look at those long trailing iris roots! I have them in my pond, too and the fish love to hide in them. I feel like they really do a lot to keep the water healthy. When I do my backyard pond, I will be dividing some and transferring them back there. I am not looking forward to the work of dividing. I think it is going to be tricky and messy!

I had to remove the Iris from between all those rocks as they got so big they were pushing all those rocks right down into the pond. So just a word of advice, watch those suckers!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I had to remove the Iris from between all those rocks as they got so big they were pushing all those rocks right down into the pond. So just a word of advice, watch those suckers!
I know! I started with a small clump and now it is big!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
thank you for the warm welcome :)
So today we built the wall from slate slabs ( the top 3 pieces are yet to be set in place as I want to see the water levels first) and foamed in the gaps on the inside of the bog where the pea gravel will cover it. Should I cut excess off or can I just leave it?

When in doubt, leave the excess. Let your pond get filled and running before you decide how to handle the excess liner.

Question for you - why are you rocking inside the bog? And why foam between the rocks?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Nice work!

It's OK if the water level is above or below the gravel in your bog. It's up to you. Or....you can have both! Some of us move the gravel around so it looks like a small stream down the middle. There are no rules for that.

I agree, never cut your excess liner. You never know... Just fold and tuck it under rocks and soil.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
thanks for the advise, I foamed the wall to force the water up and over the wall. I should have mentioned was about cutting the excess of the foam I was asking for :)

Ask a Question