Edging my Pond

Reaction score
Hi im looking to edge my preformed pond i havnt got a lot to spend but still want it to look nice any ideas what to use Thanks ?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
do you have any natural rocks on your property or maybe a place near that has a creek where you can borrow a few

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I mix my edging up, large rocks, small rocks, plants, ornamental grasses, driftwood etc.

The more you mix it up the less it will look like a necklace of rock around your pond. Drive out of town if you can, look for neat wood, rocks etc in dry creek or wet creek beds empty fields, woods etc.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thats true addy mixes better I forgot about including that .Take the time to look at pics of natural ponds if you want it to look natural always helps to see pics .The resources to find things for around the pond are only limited by your imagination .Things you see think will not work suddenly blend in ,you would be surprised

Reaction score
Hi Turk,

I got all my rock for free (and a little sweat equity). The soil in my area is rocky and farmers are always throwing rocks in piles on the edges of their fields. I simply stop in and ask if they mind if I haul some away. Most of the time they are surprised I want it in the first place. It easy to access as the piles usually are right next to the road and best of all its free!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The rock around here is what i call mush rock, once it leaves the ground it turns to mush. Like a soft shale. Wish we had nice rock to just go and pick up lol.

I love rocks, even hauled some across county when I moved, my friends asked what was so heavy in those boxes "rocks"? I just smiled lol.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thats what the farmers do here jenny but there nice enough here to be a sign on it free rock and thats just to temping

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Turk said:
Hi im looking to edge my preformed pond i havnt got a lot to spend but still want it to look nice any ideas what to use Thanks ?

I have a pre-molded pond. I wanted something to hide the un-natural molded edges with something that wouldn't look fake. I planted 'irish moss', and 'wooley thyme' around my pond, and by the middle of summer it looked great.

Happy ponding,

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh old marine but yours is so lush you can't tell I just 100% natural and hello Mr Buttons .I am still looking for the wooley thyme here but no luck

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Mr. buttons says woof. The wooley thyme isn't at any nusreries here yet. I noticed that the cut were quite busy early this spring. Most of my wooley thyme has died off at the roots. I'l just have to replant when they are available.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have looked all over for wooley thyme .I just love that pic of you and mr buttons it's cute

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Turk - besides rock, ground cover plants can also be found for a decent price if you shop around. Look for "creeping jenny" or "moneywort" (both available in a green or golden variety). Last year I got some of these for $1 a plug, and by the end of summer each plant was covering about a square foot of ground - and they continue to spread year after year. Creeping plants like this also do a great job of breaking up the 'necklace' effect around the pond, as they will grow over the rocks and in some places completely hide the rocks.

The only thing about plants is that they take time to really fill in. I always expect plants to grow for at least a couple years before they really give that lush feel to an area.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like the low growing ever greens, I have some planted on the edges of my ponds, they grow down the rocks. I like the fact they are green all winter too. But also have creeping plants that come back every year. Fun to watch them start to grow again.

Reaction score
Just a suggestion... try looking for a landscaping yard. They will sell mulch and various rocks. The one near me is a very small, family run type place. Usually they will have a certain type of rock that is overstock, or something they are trying to clear out to get a new type. Either way, if you have such a place, there is probably a deal to be had.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
For rocks slate is the best choice. Some rocks can raise the PH or your pond like limestone, flagstone or pavers.

Ask a Question