Editing other's quotes

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
As a joke, I tried editing a quote by j.w. under "Way ta go, Addy", and actually was able to change her wording. Is this a temporary OOPS, or an ongoing thing? Kinda scary to think others can put words in my mouth!
John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could edit the quote on the old forum software too John, so nothing new.... a lot of times parts of the quote have been removed., when quoted.

But then again you can not edit the original post, so if you edit it too much the person can call you on it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just zinged you one back Haro on the Way to go addy thread...............so there!

Reaction score
HARO,

All forums that I am aware of allow you to "QUOTE" someone else and then "EDIT" that quote within your reply.
Obviously, if you edit their statement too much or inappropriately, everyone will know that YOU did that because you cannot edit the original post. However, it is very handy because you can omit or delete sections of their original statement to allow you to focus in on the specific question or topic that you want to reply to.

Gordy

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Gordy; I was aware that you could delete parts of a quote to zero in on a particular comment, but never realized that you could ADD anything to it. And Dr. Sir JH, I'd like to reserve a room for two, for the first week of July. :D
John

Ask a Question