EDPM glue - sort of

Jerry In Maine

I'm watching you...
Reaction score
is there a commonly available cheap adhesive that'll stick edpm liner to itself? i know there's a specialized primer/adhesive, but in my case the seam won't be exposed to water pressure. i have a few scraps i'l like to join to make the backsplash for the waterfall coming out of my skippy filter. i have various glues around my shop that i'll try, but figured i'd ask in case anyone has found anything. i'm thinking that Goop! adhesive would do pretty well so that's the first thing i'll try

Reaction score
Lots of things will work for some period of time. Polyurethane sticks pretty good if you clean the EDPM well before hand.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I clean the liner with a little acetone, then use the pl roofing goop. So far it has worked great, even under water.

Jerry In Maine

I'm watching you...
Reaction score
cleaning likely makes all the difference...maybe even scuff it a bit prior to laying on the glue. this won't be under any pressure - just a backdrop to keep water from leaking out the back of the waterfall.

just thought; i'll best contact cement would do it too.

thanks all for the help!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Do they still sell those little tube repair kits we used to carry in our bicycle tool kits back in the 50's and 60's? Bet that would work!
John

Jerry In Maine

I'm watching you...
Reaction score
Do they still sell those little tube repair kits we used to carry in our bicycle tool kits back in the 50's and 60's? Bet that would work!
John

remember those?? Made by a company called "monkey grip". the lid had a little "cheese grater" that you scuffed the tube with, then you applied the cement, blew on it to get to dry while trying not to enjoy the fumes, then you peeled the plastic off the patch and slapped it on.

there were others that had a chemical on the back that you lit with a match. it burned hot and fast causing the patch to fuse into the rubber of the tube. dad didn't let me have those....but he let me watch when he used them to repair inner tubes in car tires.

i'm going to try some contact cement. label says it works on rubber. i think it won't be hazardous to fish once it cures and the pieces to be bonded are acting as the backsplash of my waterfall so they won't be taking any pressure from water weight

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hmmm glue sniffer huh lol .I use one of those foam sanding blocks to scuff the liner and then dust it off and make sure it is dry .I did try that spray on rubber stuff that you see on tv and now they sell it at lowes and it works great .I had a slight crack in my 300 gallon stock tank and sprayed it on both sides of the crack and sealed it .The crack was on the bottom also .I let it cure for a week just too make sure .

Ask a Question